How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Post by mediatechnology »

This is going to be fun to watch: https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/01/ ... -razor-ad/
In a comment to the Wall Street Journal, Pankaj Bhalla, Gillette’s brand director, said that the advertisement is a meditation on the changes that men must make in America. “This is an important conversation happening, and as a company that encourages men to be their best, we feel compelled to both address it and take action of our own,” Bhalla said. “We are taking a realistic look at what’s happening today, and aiming to inspire change by acknowledging that the old saying ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ is not an excuse. We want to hold ourselves to a higher standard, and hope all the men we serve will come along on that journey to find our ‘best’ together.”

The ad immediately turned off customers, many of which said that they are done buying Gillette products.
Note "changes that men must make in America."
Why just American men?
If I'm toxically masculine is it OK if I move to Canada or Little Saint James Island?

Was Mr. Bhalla referring to American muslim men genitally-mutilating women or was he referring to construction workers admiring a nice-looking woman? I didn't see any genital mutilation in the video...

Nice try at shifting the Overton Window Mr. Bhalla but its going to cost you customers.
billshurv

Re: How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Post by billshurv »

I wonder if it will. It gets people talking, which changes their decisions. And you can't get P&G out of your life without serious effort. They are everywhere, although at least Pringles are not one of their brands any more.

I always thought the next bond villain should be the boss of a P&G or equivalent. The Jack Nickolson Version of the joker got that bit right! Gilette HQ is about 3 miles from me. About the only place anything is actually made in the town!

What I don't get is male grooming. Sh*t, shower, shave out the door. Shaving soap and a brush. Job done.
mediatechnology

Isn't it convenient how P&G already had the ad in production ready-to-air with a release timed to coincide with this? https://www.rt.com/usa/448410-apa-mascu ... sychology/

I sense a coordinated effort.
President Obama has signed a new executive order authorizing Federal agencies to perform behavioral studies on American citizens. The studies, which will be performed without express permission from participants, are designed to advance government initiatives by “nudging” citizens toward certain behaviors and choices. http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/s ... s_09172015
(ii) improve how information is presented to consumers, borrowers, program beneficiaries, and other individuals, whether as directly conveyed by the agency, or in setting standards for the presentation of information, by considering how the content, format, timing, and medium by which information is conveyed affects comprehension and action by individuals, as appropriate; https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/th ... e-american
You have to kill the able-bodied men to conquer.

Quote of the day:
Kevin Mercer Toxic Masculinity. A term made up by liberal men in skinny jeans that don't know which bathroom to use. Thank God these liberal man babies weren't storming the beaches back in 44. We'd all be speaking German.
Cutting off P&G's oxygen.

I only use five P&G products in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... ble_brands
"De-funding" P&G may not be so hard after all.
The local health food store will have replacements for what I really need and I'd rather help him and his vendors build their retail and detergent empires.

Throwing companies overboard is so liberating :!:
I always feel better when I do and I usually save money.
At the end of the day I'll have more of my money and P&G will have none.
I call that a win.
I'm in control: P&G is not.
Had they just kept their SJW mouth shut they'd still have my business.

And then there's this which blows the APA and P&G's theories to hell:
"Iconic viking warrior was a woman, DNA test confirms" https://www.rt.com/news/402521-sweden-v ... ior-woman/

She was toxic and I bet she didn't shave.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

You can find a correlation anywhere you look. http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations :) . In a way having young kids is good as I really don't have time to worry about conspiracies. Also our politicians are busy screwing everything up with no plan in UK at the moment! Those in power generally are so inept that that couldn't implement some of these conspiracies if they tried. China might be the the outlier there, but even there we seem some stupendous cock ups on a regular basis.

Not sure who this Kevin Mercer is but he's not very good at his history.
mediatechnology

billshurv wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:45 am Those in power generally are so inept that that couldn't implement some of these conspiracies if they tried.
They are and they look so stupid to the rest of us who are not in their bubble.
P&G just made fools of themselves.
Their video has about 10:1 down votes.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

The ad campaign fuss has made BBC website now. 2.7million views. AKA you can't buy advertising like that. Bear in mind women shave too. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I do find it slightly amusing how upset some people are getting over an advert though.

BTW I have no idea what 'toxic masulinity' is. I assume it is what we used to call 'being an ar4ehole'?
mediatechnology

billshurv wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:16 am BTW I have no idea what 'toxic masulinity' is. I assume it is what we used to call 'being an ar4ehole'?
That's what they'd like you to believe.
While the ad campaign on the surface appears to be one thing and appears to support a lofty goal it ignores the truly toxic men who are celebrated by the same people who have the unmitigated gall to lecture us.

My example of toxic masculinity is a muslim rape gang, Bill Clinton, Jeffry Epstein, Prince Andrew, Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein.

The Left, and P&G project onto others what they themselves do.
P&G seems to project that men who barbecue are the real threat to women.
Isn't the real threat the sexual predators and pedophiles in business, government and entertainment?

I think what's pissed people off the most about this ad campaign is the ridiculous continual assault on norms in an attempt to shift the Overton Window.
The left assaults all strong men while at the same time rewarding the deviant. (Desmond is an abused, not amazing child.)
We see their mental illness and its hypocrisy and many resent it being pushed on those who think its sick.

"Toxic masculinity" may arise from Title 9 Womens Studies indoctrination programs on American Universities.
It is currently a term used to degrade all men in an effort to eliminate strong men from Western society in order to effect a One World Government and make asymmetric warfare, using mass-migration and a Cloward-Piven strategy, more effective.
In Europe it appears, from these shores, the strategy appears to be working brilliantly.
In the US, with a gun behind every blade of grass, the strategy is not working so quickly.

The New World Order is deathly afraid of the Yellow Vests who are strong men and women. These are people who are "toxic" to the globalists. They need to get with the "P&G" program, be fed soy and estrogen, and be chemically castrated. De-toxified.

Now, "Toxic masculinity" has morphed into men who barbecue or men who admire women who want to be admired. Any male who wants to procreate can be deemed a toxic masculine rapist.

Toxic masculinity plays into suppressing the birth rate. Nothing is more frightening to a Globalist than a child born to two parents. Toxic masculinity is one of the tools in the box used to destroy family. Family is the enemy to the State. The state wants to be your Mommy, Daddy and God.

Why isn't P&G directing a campaign to bearded Muslim rape gangs?
They could use some behavior modification AND a razor.
Why? Because it doesn't serve the end-game.
mediatechnology

Forbes: Why Gillette's New Ad Campaign Is Toxic

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charlesrta ... toxic/amp/
However, the real issue with the “Best a Man Can Be” from the point of view of its critics is that many men don’t think they need a corporation (especially one they are buying products from) telling them what it is to be masculine or to scolding them for not doing enough to address an issue.

Approval is often related to fitting in with social norms. As Elsesser points out that while the ad clearly disapproves of the bad behaviors it depicts, it simultaneously suggests that most men engage in these behaviors. It follows that to fit in, or to be “masculine,” one would seek approval by engaging in those behaviors engaged in by a majority of the groups – not the “some men” that is “not enough” in the opinion of Gillette.

The use of the term “toxic masculinity” in the ad was a flat out mistake. While only mentioned quickly and briefly, the use of this term, which many men associate with a one-sided critique and stereotype of an entire gender. Regardless of how much some without marketing backgrounds would like to believe that companies taking political stances on is okay, alienating a substantial proportion of the target audience is never a good thing. Michael Jordan’s statement that he did not want to engage in political commentary because “Republicans buy shoes too,”remains wise thinking. Regardless of which political party or group may be alienated, it is simply bad marketing practice to offend significant numbers of your own consumers.
Amen.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I'll not comment on the rape thing. It's too close to home and rather say no more.

I don't get offended by Adverts. I get offended when dead children wash up on the beach because of some bast**d politicians in italy. I do however thing that there are discussions that should be had openly. push the extreme views to the side and get the middle ground talking. Talk is cheap and good. Dunno what label that gives me, but I don't go for labels :)

In the next couple of hours UK is going to go into clusterfsck freefall. Anyone here getting upset over shaving has really missed the point!
mediatechnology

Yes, you need to be very careful.
billshurv wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 am In the next couple of hours UK is going to go into clusterfsck freefall. Anyone here getting upset over shaving has really missed the point!
Yes it is. Do keep us updated.
I hope for a good outcome for you.
Diversion is the point.

I'm not particularly upset by the ad but I am amused at the colossal blunder it represents.
Marketing experts will look back and ask "What were they thinking?"

I'm not one to boycott but I also don't like to financially reward failure.
I'll use the rest of my Tide Pods, Ivory soap and Dawn detergent.

I have this motto: "Any company that wants to commit brand suicide has my full support."

I've been Gillete-free for a number of months now after buying Harry's blades so as usual I'm way ahead of the curve.
I'm figuring they're about 30% less, just as good if not better, and seem to last a little longer.
Read in one of the articles that Gillete's market share had dropped from 80 to 50% so I'm glad to be a part of that cost-savings.

We have a brand here called "Method."
I use their glass cleaner and de-greaser spray. Great products.
I'm going to explore their other products and see just how easy it will be to replace P&G.
Or maybe just use more vinegar, baking soda, lye stuff like that.