Something to ponder about IoT

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Something to ponder about IoT

Post by JR. »

brianroth wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:07 pm From that article:

The new Bluetooth-enabled Hue bulbs will cost the same as those without Bluetooth: $15 for plain white; $25 adjustable white bulbs; and $50 for full color-change bulbs.

And to think that several years ago I would buy a 4-pack of 60W incandescent bulbs for $1.00!

Bri
I still have a stash of incandescent bulbs I use in the fixture under my computer desk for local leg warming on cold winter days.

I was just thinking how nice it is to not be replacing burned out light bulbs constantly... I can't remember the last bulb that failed. Perhaps a combination of good lamps and bad memory, but writing this will surely jinx me. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
emrr

Post by emrr »

Im beginning to explore replacing a security system, and starting to think about a cell based connection that I receive a feed from rather than a hardwired connection with 3rd party monitoring.

I did find another 4 pack of 60W bulbs I'd misplaced, which were for a lamp under a water line that might freeze.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
JR.

Post by JR. »

emrr wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am Im beginning to explore replacing a security system, and starting to think about a cell based connection that I receive a feed from rather than a hardwired connection with 3rd party monitoring.

I did find another 4 pack of 60W bulbs I'd misplaced, which were for a lamp under a water line that might freeze.
Last winter when my back faucet froze up I bought some of the thermostat controlled pipe heating tape. Not very expensive, and requires no attention after set up.
-----
I recently put in some closed circuit cameras to catch tree rats (squirrels). If I don't see the squirrels until after I am out in the yard, it is too late to return inside and get my rifle.

I bought a 4 camera system from Swann (actually system can take more cameras but for now I am only using two, to monitor 4 pecan trees) . The cameras are wide angle and have night vision.

They can set up an internet based email notification system based on motion sensing. I didn't set up the email notification account. https://www.swann.com/us/

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

emrr wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am Im beginning to explore replacing a security system, and starting to think about a cell based connection that I receive a feed from rather than a hardwired connection with 3rd party monitoring.

Doug - I have a cell-based monitored system that integrated into my existing hardwired panel. If your system isn't monitored, you may forfeit any insurance discount you receive. I don't ever see the cell bill - it's included in the $16/month fee. IIRC the discount offsets several months of monitoring.
mediatechnology

Neuralink: Something to ponder about IoT

Elon Musk's plans to merge computers with people's brains were on full display yesterday during Musk's presentation updating the public on what brain-computer interface company Neuralink has been up to.

The company has so far been able to implant as many as 1,500 electrodes in lab rats and says its first intention for the technology is to do things like help amputees and restore the ability to see, talk and listen.

Bundles of Neuralink flexible threads are about the quarter of a diameter of a human hair and are implanted using needles to avoid hitting blood vessels on the brain surface. The embedded sensors catch information and send it to receiver "on the surface of the skull," according to Engadget.

From there, you can literally "Bluetooth information to your skull," according to Musk
. The Neuralink pod is worn behind the ear and contains the battery and other hardware.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07- ... ur-brain-0

JR.

Post by JR. »

Do they communicate with the brain using SPI or I2S? :lol:

I suspect Musk's major contribution to the project is his name.

JR
mediatechnology

I believe its Bluetooth.

I knew someone who had an implantable device battery fail and the chemical leakage almost killed him.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:47 am I believe its Bluetooth.
I didn't know that the human nervous system can understand bluetooth? :lol:
I knew someone who had an implantable device battery fail and the chemical leakage almost killed him.
Not good...

JR
mediatechnology

I thought you meant at the skin barrier.

In 1982 we used a transformer: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4495384A/en
brianroth

IoT baby diapers

Post by brianroth »

Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com