Something to ponder about IoT

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
brianroth

Something to ponder about IoT

Post by brianroth »

https://www.fastcompany.com/90358396/th ... use-the-ac

OOPS! Everything in my freezer just melted 'cuz a Cloud server went down....

Something just occurred to me. IoT IdioT

lol

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
billshurv

Re: Something to ponder about IoT

Post by billshurv »

IoT is a far cry from its original ideas. I got involved in it back around 2008 and rapidly realised that there were a couple of major problems.

1. All these start ups thought they were trailblazing so ignored the last 40 odd years of learning in embedded development
2. The business model (where there is one other than 'be bought by google') is all about subscriptions and stickyness not about making something the end customer wants
3. Security is lax to non-existent
4. Cloud....

Now my focus was all on industrial/corporate/smart city stuff. Home automation is its own little universe and galls me even more. If I buy a thermostat its mine. I don't want to have to pay £10 a month just to be able to use the bloody thing!
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I saw that article too and was amazed that people were locked out of their homes because the cloud was down.

What a bunch of f*cking idiots buying a lock that requires an internet connection to open.
These little idiots allow themselves to be locked out of their homes by the command and control matrix.
None likely own a firearm.
These people will be the first to be marched off to FEMA camps because the government will lock you out of your home.
What a bunch of cucks...

Isn't it odd that Google had a mass outage just a day or so after anti trust action.

I didn't even know that day that the "internet was down" due to a cloud outage at Google.
JR.

Post by JR. »

That is kind of amusing, in a happening to somebody else way...

As we learned in diehard when they cut the power the electric locks unlock.... :lol:

As a feeble aging old man living alone, I dedicate a bunch of my declining cognitive resources toward always having a house key with me when I go outside. :roll:

I had one car, my 1990 thunderbird that unlocked with a number code, of course dead battery would be no bueno, but the real key still worked.

I am old enough to remember when we didn't lock our home doors, but that was a long time ago. I also recall living in an apartment (in Boston) that got broken into right after I left for work one morning... The would be thief didn't realize I had a brother staying with me at the time, which interrupted his larceny. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

As a interesting idea I looked at a system for 'community care' just to have an example of what the end person wants vs what amazgoog want to foist on us. Now a lot of older people who like to still live in their own homes have visits from community nurses and they like to open the door. But what if they are unwell and need the nurse to let them selves in. You don't want to give them a key so put a keypress outside for emergency.

Then the fun starts. You need a cheap keypress that is burglar safe and you can remotely recode. You need a way for the person inside the house to signal that they are in distress/unable to get to the door, a way of getting approval from next of kin for access and a way of giving a one time code to the nurse on duty. Makes a nice Powerpoint exercise to show people but would never fly as not worth BigIT developing.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 am As a interesting idea I looked at a system for 'community care' just to have an example of what the end person wants vs what amazgoog want to foist on us. Now a lot of older people who like to still live in their own homes have visits from community nurses and they like to open the door. But what if they are unwell and need the nurse to let them selves in. You don't want to give them a key so put a keypress outside for emergency.

Then the fun starts. You need a cheap keypress that is burglar safe and you can remotely recode. You need a way for the person inside the house to signal that they are in distress/unable to get to the door, a way of getting approval from next of kin for access and a way of giving a one time code to the nurse on duty. Makes a nice Powerpoint exercise to show people but would never fly as not worth BigIT developing.
There is a great deal of effort going into allowing delivery service personnel into garages or apartments unaccompanied to make secure deliveries. I suspect they may use some form of security camera monitoring to keep them honest.

Internet enabled door locks that seem like a 1st world feature only for wealthy people, could become more common decades from now for emergency access, but there may be a potential for abuse (just watch good/bad science fiction).

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

However (and this was the reason for the thought experiment) does the average octogenarian have an internet connection?

Now personally I think amazon can go **** themselves if they think I will fill my house with spyware just so someone can open my front door to deliver a parcel rather than dump it on the lawn where some scrote will nick it. I would rather take my business elsewhere. (OK I live in a low crime area and have a shed they can put it in)
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 pm However (and this was the reason for the thought experiment) does the average octogenarian have an internet connection?
My neighbor who was 20 years older than me (before he died a year ago) had internet and a smart phone....

I have internet but no smart phone
Now personally I think amazon can go **** themselves if they think I will fill my house with spyware just so someone can open my front door to deliver a parcel rather than dump it on the lawn where some scrote will nick it. I would rather take my business elsewhere. (OK I live in a low crime area and have a shed they can put it in)
You and I are not the target market for this... I still can't figure out why so many people buy those digital listening devices they enable to snoop on them. :lol:

JR
brianroth

Post by brianroth »

No smart phone here either; I'm from the wrong generation that has to constantly being on texting, Facebook or Snapchat, whatever. In fact, it's annoying when I'm with friends (quite a bit younger than I am) and they are constantly "glued" to their phones with all the beeps/whistles/etc that COMMAND their immediate attention. "Sorry...I gotta take this...."

Back in 2014, I was hired by a group in Omaha to help design their new studio build-out. All the guys were 20 or 30 somethings. I recall sitting in a room with a half dozen folks while no words were being spoken as they were all clicking away on their phones. Annoying, and it seemed rude to me.

But, one thing came out of that project (and followups the next two years). I was seeing all these folks listening to songs via their phones, so it occured to me that these folks need to check their studio music mixes...on their phones! 21st Century mix check, like we used to do with Auratones.

Bri
Professional audio and video systems design/installation/maintenance.
www.BrianRoth.com
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I assume that phones are the main method of music consumption now. And yet we haven't seen a shift to headphone optimised mixes which I find odd. Gaming does the whole 3D sound thing, but not music. shame really.