home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Post by JR. »

I am having to convince myself to stop trying to improve the float level switch.... It works (for now) and the 10 seconds of turn off delay gives it some hysteresis .

The power meter arrived but with the pump only running for tens of seconds I don't get much to read... looks like 300+ W which isn't out of line with 2.4A previous current reading.

I guess i can wait until it fails from too many relay on/off cycles. The only improvement I would add is some (longer) level hysteresis.

I sent an email to customer service but don't feel lucky.

I should not complain, it is working.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

For a little more local excitement, my adapter arrived today so I can connect my garden hose sprayer to my 3000PSI power washer....

This will either spray up higher than my trees, or blow up... :lol:

Full report later.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

As promised here is the before picture before I blew it up///
spraybottle.png
You can see the 3000 psi high pressure hose neatly attached..... BUT :oops: While it threads up it leaks water like a seive and doesn't make full pressure. It looks promising though.

Apparently the 3000psi hose connection involves a snug fit around the rubber seals to secure a pressure tight seal.

But this is only strike one, at the same time as I ordered this adapter, I ordered another part
to interface to 3/8" quick connect coupling.. So this may git er dun when it arrives. (as soon as tomorrow).
I have bought so many random adapters that didn't fit I surely have the rest I need, so getting closer. 8-)

I am guessing 3/4" garden hose to 3000PSI is not a common interface. :lol:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

The quick connect fitting did not seal and hold pressure, I managed to get the 3000psi source attached eventually and the plastic threaded part that screws into the metal spray body blew off.... :oops: Not a huge surprise. :lol:

New plan, I'm going to use normal hose power and my extension poles, that I used when I painted my house to get the spray up another 10-15' higher. 8-) A commercial sprayer is hundreds of dollars and only specs 20' of height reach.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Not the first time this happened to me.. I just checked the replacement hose end sprayer I purchased over a week ago and they say delivery is estimated Apr 30, another 4 weeks from now?? WTF, they also say if i ordered one right now it arrives Apr 8... 3 weeks sooner. :evil:

Sounds like some jive talk....

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I had the same thing happen at Amazon recently where it said the item was in-stock but when it got placed in the cart it was 30 days out.

I think this is due to their volumes of food and supplies being very high.

However the hoax is fading and I think Amazon is backing off on the policy.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I wouldn't be so sure... 2 weeks ago when my wally world had zero TP on the shelves, I ordered some from their website... delivery was supposed to be around now, but I just got a notice today saying it was delayed and they will cancel the order if they can't ship it 4/2... about 3 days from now.

Luckily I purchased some last week so I am good, but surprising they can't even ship TP from the website.

JR

PS: I hear on the news that amazon workers are walking out over safety and hazard pay?
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:07 pm I wouldn't be so sure... 2 weeks ago when my wally world had zero TP on the shelves, I ordered some from their website... delivery was supposed to be around now, but I just got a notice today saying it was delayed and they will cancel the order if they can't ship it 4/2... about 3 days from now.

Luckily I purchased some last week so I am good, but surprising they can't even ship TP from the website.

JR

PS: I hear on the news that amazon workers are walking out over safety and hazard pay?
DALLAS - A tractor-trailer loaded with toilet paper went up in flames early Wednesday morning near Dallas.

The driver of the 18-wheeler reportedly lost control around 4:30 a.m. on westbound Interstate 20 near Interstate 45. The truck ended up on its side and caught fire.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/18-wheele ... -in-dallas

Your order may be delayed a little longer...
JR.

Post by JR. »

This is an object lesson in human cognition (irrational fear of scarcity)... I still have the two rolls under my sink that I had a couple weeks ago (I live alone and don't use a lot). I also have the 4 new rolls I purchased last week, so I expect I will be OK for some time even if my web purchase is delayed further.

I thought about shopping at walmart during senior hours on tuesday, but nah.... I will hit the store on my normal day tomorrow, perhaps an hour or two earlier than normal.

====
On topic, today I did a proof of concept with my tree sprayer. It works... attaching the stock hose end sprayer to a 15' extension pole gets it up an additional 15' higher to start, plus the spray elevation.
sprayer.jpg
The new issue, not completely unexpected is the extra weight of the 3/4" hose full of water... this is not that easy to throw around. Tomorrow at wally world I may look for a lighter hose... I don't think I need the 3/4" diameter (flow) as much as the pressure that will be delivered by smaller diameter hose. That fancy flexible hose may be pretty light

JR

PS: This is the old sprayer I blew apart with my pressure washer, so new replacement hose end sprayer is not due in until late next week.
terkio

Post by terkio »

I missed something.
What is the purpose of your tree sprayer ?