Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
billshurv

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by billshurv »

surely a plumb line and chalk will do the job?
Gold

Post by Gold »

I harvested a bunch of paper birch from a downed tree on the hill across the street. Paper birch grows with a straight trunk with no branches until the top of the tree. The only way to get smaller branches is to cut one down or find a downed tree. I made these wall sconces for the propane lanterns we use.
Attachments
25567DCB-E4EC-4040-9C1B-B07E735A01B7.jpeg
Gold

Post by Gold »

Another
Attachments
7A00DF4B-A89A-4262-A77D-439F25D1378C.jpeg
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am surely a plumb line and chalk will do the job?

Both < $10 each.

I do not have a plumb line with chalked string either... :lol:

I still need to ask my neighbor who does wood working, I bet he has one of those too, while it is easy enough to make a crude one DIY. I would just need to print out a +/- 90' radial pattern on paper and mount it inside a square frame with a string and weight. easy peasy... :lol:
lean.png
That was easy.... not precision but good enough to measure that it is leaning more in the new (?) direction. Maybe 2' toward the store opposite the come along line, and 3-4' at a right angle to the left. But I wouldn't bet on accuracy of the lean angles. I'll check at the store tomorrow for a real one, when I do my grocery shopping.

---
I did see two different color ants climbing up and down the trunk, not to mention some beetles(?) or bigger bugs living under the bark. Tree is developing some deep vertical cracks in trunk. I feel lucky. 8-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
terkio

Post by terkio »

You can get a good accuracy with a long plumb line over some flat horizontal base where you can pin marks to see where to it is leaning.
Simple maths gives the angle.
Lean angle is:
180° / 3.14 x side_move / plumb_line_length.
JR.

Post by JR. »

yes I studied trig over half a century ago.

Maybe after the tree is gone, I can put a flat horizontal base where the trunk was. :lol:

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

No trigonometry in my post. 8-)
Here, multiply and divide is good enough for small angles.

You want trig ? :twisted:
Sin X = Tan X = X
For X small in Radian.
3.14150 Radian is 180°.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I just want my tree to fall down...preferably not on my neighbors store building. :lol:

My initial DIY measurements confirmed it is leaning further in the normal direction from the tension line than toward the store opposite it (a good thing IMO).

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

If you were to go to the trouble of putting a plumb line on it you might as well make it a rope and pull it down with a vehicle.

But that wouldn't be gentle persuasion. :lol:
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 am If you were to go to the trouble of putting a plumb line on it you might as well make it a rope and pull it down with a vehicle.

But that wouldn't be gentle persuasion. :lol:
busted rope.png
I broke this tow rope pulling on the tree with my come along, so not a trivial pull. I generally do not drive on my soft (sometimes muddy) yard.

I feel like mother nature is making some progress, and my come along still in place with more robust lines, should help steer it away from the store when it falls, and it will fall eventually. Now it looks like it might fall to the left, but I will feel better if that lean angle increases. Might not be crazy to move the come along to pull over that way, but no obvious nearby anchors.

Maybe a project for this weekend, using what is left of that tow rope, to pull toward a different anchor (tree). :lol:

JR