Vancouver, BC ... a mixed bag food wise

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
producer4000

Vancouver, BC ... a mixed bag food wise

Post by producer4000 »

Well, I've just returned from a show at The Commodore in Vancouver. After having the best sushi ever in Montreal (of all places), I was hoping for another best of type experience. Yoshi was suggested as fine sushi and within walking distance of our hotel. Unfortunately, it was not worth walking to. Better sushi here in Memphis. A real disappointment. So disappointing that my wife and I just sort of 'jet-lagged-out' at about 9 pm.
We woke early on Saturday morning (6 am... unheard of for me) and decided breakfast would be in order. After walking for a mile or two we found De Dutch, a small breakfast type nook on Robson St. (I've since learned they are a franchise). They opened at 7:30 am, we arrived at 7:38 and there were already six people in there (a good sign). We ordered our 'pannekoeks', a large somewhat thin type of pancake with the-stuff-Americans-would-put-on-the-side-of-it-on-top instead: eggs, havarti, bacon, salmon, etc. Then, you sort of roll it up and eat it with a fork. Mine came with the best hollondaise I've ever had, my wife's came with maple syrup. All the while, the place continued to accumulate customers. In direct opposition to a few web reviews, the food was great and filling, my coffee cup was never empty and my service was prompt and friendly.
Brunch consisted of a walk to Yaletown Brewpub, voted 'Best in Canada' by someone. The beer was very good. Best? Always a very subjective thing, but it was very good. Highly suggested are the 'Red Truck Ale' and the 'India Brown Ale'. My service was excellent and friendly, we met the brewmaster (also excellent and friendly) and somehow found our way into a documentary film about brewbups in Canada. Yes, the videographer was also excellent and friendly.
For lunch, we went to The Pound (as in 'dog pound', get it?). Right across the street from the BC Centre. Just a sports bar, no big deal, right? An ahi tuna steak 'burger' on the menu. Hmmm. A little overcooked (I like it almost raw) but still a decent thing to make a 'burger' out of. Tasted quite good with a hefeweisen. Service was good and friendly, just as expected. Now hitting 2 for 3.
After the soundcheck at The Commodore, a hopefully not-so-filling dinned was in order (I HATE to play on a full stomach and need to be careful about my eating/playing schedule). At 6pm it was decided by my wife that she wanted pizza. Okay. From the hotel (The Wall Centre Sheraton), down the street to Lombardo's. Nice, newer kind of trendy type of Italian place with nice, newer kind of trendy people working there. A wood fired spicy pepper paste pizza was ordered with beer (surprise!). For that type of pizza, it was great. I wasn't in the mood for any particular type, (I sometimes go for a pizza style... see my Chicago review for details) and found it to be wonderful. Service was good and we were able to get out just as it started to get busy.
Coffee in the city was good everywhere, too. Didn't go to Starbucks. Never go to Starbucks unless everyplace else is on fire.
So, that' it. We went 3 for 4. Pretty good, this Vancouver.

Oh, and the show... an extremely enjoyable experience. The backline was great (I love it when poeple read my rider) monitors were superb and FOH was great, too. We used local trombone (didn't get his card :oops: ) and guitar Tim Hearsey; both great players and fun people, too. I can't wait to go back!
"Come smell my fringy shirt." Lonesome Cowboy Burt
mediatechnology

Re: Vancouver, BC ... a mixed bag food wise

Post by mediatechnology »

I had some pretty good Mexican food in Vancouver once. The only good Mexican food I was able to get in Canada in fact although Toronto may have gotten something more authentic than Chi Chi's since then.

DeDutch sounds awesome: http://www.dedutch.com/menu/de-menu-det ... #breakfast
producer4000

Re: Vancouver, BC ... a mixed bag food wise

Post by producer4000 »

mediatechnology wrote:although Toronto may have gotten something more authentic than Chi Chi's since then.
I hope so. I'm at the Havelock Jamboree this August. Canada in general has been great to me so far. Lousy food in or near Toronto could blow it. ;)
Besides that, my main motivation is to have my picture taken in front of the Queen's Park Building in Toronto, similar to that of a very important album cover.
"Come smell my fringy shirt." Lonesome Cowboy Burt