Another reason not to buy used appliances from Crusty...

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Crusty

Another reason not to buy used appliances from Crusty...

Post by Crusty »

No beer bottle used this time though - I ended up fixing my dishwasher with the metal shaft from a male Elco connector - I'm not paying $200 bucks for a soap dispenser! I just need to explain to the wife how it operates a little differently now...LOL
mediatechnology

Re: Another reason not to buy used appliances from Crusty...

Post by mediatechnology »

Those Elco shafts are pretty hard aren't they? Stainless steel IIRC?
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Not too hard S.S. - a good thing cuz I had to drill/tap a 2-56 hole into the side. It was absolutely perfect diameter and had the 'D' cut I needed on one end already, so it was meant to be. Weird how that works out sometimes.

It was a simple plastic shaft that broke - the plastic got all "chalky" from temp cycling I guess. Of course you can't buy just the shaft and the dispenser said Made in Germany on the back so I knew it was going to be $$$, but 200 bucks?

I always count it a victory when I can get something running again with just my 'possibles' collection in the shop - I guess it's the farmer in me.

I've never been excited about replacing appliances (or tools!). They seem to get more and more complicated to use, and less and less reliable. The only new appliance I've bought in the last few years was a new clothes washer. One of the newer HE machines. Cleans much better than the old one (I don't care much about lower water usage since I use a catchment system and always have plenty of water) but damn is it slow! takes the better part of an hour to do a load (though drying time is quite a bit less cuz it really spins the water out). And with 2-month old Crusty Jr here now, it's running all day LOL

I also bought a propane flash water heater - I left the old electric tank in with a bypass as a backup. That really saved $$$$ - It paid for itself in about six months. I'd still like to build a solar booster system for it someday...
emrr

Post by emrr »

Good man!
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

Speaking of appliances....

Why do the blower/motor bearings for dryers keep getting gummed up? It's becoming a yearly tradition to pull the motor out clean and oil the bearings. I've started double rinsing clothes but still use dryer sheets.
mediatechnology

Well they are sintered just like the capstan bearings in Otari MX-5050s which used silicone oil. (And were impregnated too.)

But they did gum up before I ever oiled them. So what's the option? Replace the motor?
JR.

Post by JR. »

Knock on wood my dryer is maintenance free...

I recently had to replace the motor/gear reduction in my coffee roaster, but that takes a licking.. several years ago I had to replace the heating element because it warped and was rubbing on the drum. But good companies provide repair parts so good product can be kept in service.

Speaking of customer service... I got a phone call from a customer this week who just bought a console that I designed almost 20 years ago, that he bought used and was having trouble interfacing with a different companies product (mackie cheapo automation). DIfficult to deal with even in the same decade the product is new. I know this guy talked to Peavey service first, and they probably told him to try calling me... I need to kick their ass... not my friggin job mon....

Believe it or not i don't keep service documentation for every product i ever designed... and I surely don't remember the details.

----

One very rewarding fix was replacing the rusted out blade on my riding mower... old blade was so tired it was a couple inches shorter than new, and didn't suck up the grass for a nice cut... best $12 I ever spent. Well there was one lap dance that was close, but the blade has more lasting value.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

JR. wrote:
Believe it or not i don't keep service documentation for every product i ever designed... and I surely don't remember the details.

...best $12 I ever spent. Well there was one lap dance that was close, but the blade has more lasting value.

JR
Damn, John I was going to ask you about R37 in the TS-1.

You got a lap dance for $12? Shouldn't we all be in Hickory now?
JR.

Post by JR. »

Actually that lapdance was in either TX or Mexico during a Mexican capacitor factory visit... :D One thing I miss about working for a big company is the vendors sucking up.. I don't get much love in hickory from vendors.

Damn I think I'm starting to see why those guys run for congress... :lol:

Not to wax political.. but campaign contributions don't count as a conflict of interest when making earmarks, so it's legal for them to steer earmarks to campaign contributors..in a quid pro quo.. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

I think for a $12 lap dance I'd be willing to buy some Mexican "capacitros."

Group buy anyone?