This is me! [new member introduction] warning! loong post

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Foona

This is me! [new member introduction] warning! loong post

Post by Foona »

Greetings!

My Name is Jakob and I work under the artist name "Foona" from "Studio5".
Many years ago I started an artist and producer collective called P.T.C-Crew.
The crew has been overhauled many times during the years and now we are 8 strong
members working for eachother, sharing time, knowledge and support.

I am a producer and I am currently working with Roots and Dub music.
I have been working actively with computers and music since 10 years of age starting
out with an Atari STE. Now 20 years later my atari has been swaped for a PC and various
other gears.

I have been into DIY electronics for about 2 years now. I started of only with the knowledge
of soldering and have since then accumulated alot of new knowledge about curcuits
and electronics in general. However, I still consider my self a noob. I cannot for the
life of me explain why stuff work...I just build it and then I use it.

The first thing I built was an analog synthesizer. I call it "Dubvision" and I primarily use
it as a dub siren. This is actually an MFOS (Music From Outer Space) Soundlab.

MFOS Soundlab - "Dubvision"

I use on every gig I perform at and also in the studio. It's a simple build project,
at least that's what I believe now...haha I didn't find it so easy 2 years ago. I then
proceeded with building something i loonged for since i got a commodore 64 when
I was a child. I wanted to be able to make my own music with it back then. And
then i found Ucapps and the Midibox Forum. And this is the result.

Ucapps Midibox SID - "Shebeast"

This project was much harder and I still believe that. I had to learn a bit about
burning PIC's and other stuff that I am very bad at. Problem is i never really use it.
It doesen't fit into my Roots based music so it's collecting dust untill I need it again.

After that project i started a BIG project. I call it the "Dubmasta". It is a midi
controller and i am most proud over this project. I love it like I love food, I need it
just as much haha. I use it on a daily basis in my studio and when i perform live.

Ucapps Midibox64 - "Dubmasta"

Then we have this next thing i built. This is what you get when you take two Rebote 2.5
delay units and put them in the same box. I love it, it sounds like an old analouge delay
eventhough it is using a digital chip. I recomend the Rebote to anyone who wants a good
analouge sounding delay.

Dual Rebote 2.5 delay - "I dobble"

Ops i almost forgot.
I realized something was missing in my Roots/Dub setup. An original spring reverb tank.
One night i was browsing Ebay and found an old Hammond A100 spring tank, and i won
the aution. LUCKY!!! So i build spring tank preamp designed by Rod Elliot of
Elliot Sound Productions"

Hammond A100 spring tank - "Springa"

It sounds absolutely delicious. I swear i wish i could digest wood and metal, cuz i am sure
that eating this unit would make me smile forever! :mrgreen:

Since i started out with the soundlab 2 years ago i have been searching for a good DIY
compressor sollution. I never found this community back then. If i would have, then I
wouldn't have had to spend all those countless hours googling for one. I was looking for
a compressor sollution that would sound a bit like DBX compressors, i have always had
a thing for these maschines. They always deliver what i want and...well..I just love them haha!
Believe me i was so happy 3 days ago when i finally found what i was looking for.
The Picco!

Today I placed an order and i cannot wait untill it comes. I am going to go insane from
waiting, this I know for a fact. My whole body is itching and i know i wont be able to
sleep untill the unit is built so i can bring it with me on all my gigs....drooling from exitement!

Almost 3 months ago i released my album "Foona's In'I Sound" as a free download
on the Swedish Reggae Blog called "Rebelmusic.se". The album contains 15 tracks
of Roots and Dub music.

The album is completely free for anyone to download. Here's a direct dl link:
Foona’s In’I Sound on Rebelmusic.se
The album has been packed with Winrar.

I also have my own blog (English language). I am using this blog To write about my
upcoming musical “stuffs” as events, gigs collabs etc. Also I write about DIY equipment
that I have built. Right now there are three posts concerning my DIY spring tank, my
Dubmasta” DIY Midi controller and the Rebote "I dobble" unit.

Foona’s Official Studio5 Blog

If you want to see this DIY gear in action you can check my Youtube Channel. I have
five videos there right now where I am dubbing my own material live in my studio.

Foona’s Youtube Channel

I also have an MySpace address and you can also find me on Last.FM.

Foona on MySpace

Foona on Last.FM

I also want to take the chance to tell you that I am a member of the VombatRadio.com
community. VombatRadio is a web based radio channel where artist from all over the world
can use to broadcast their sessions LIVE from their home. Their slogan is "Free live online Concerts",
and I love this concept. I myself have performed live on their channel 2 times and you can find
the saved broadcast sessions in their “podcast section”.

I hope you’ll enjoy my free album! If you have any thoughts, questions, or want to exchange
idea’s don’t hestitate to contact me. Music is the way of the world.

woa...hahaha it's starting to look like a spam post...very long post to hahaha.
Either way, this is me people. Now im going to sit down and wait for my Picco kit.

Love an’ Blessin’s
/Foona
emrr

Re: This is me! [new member introduction] warning! loong post

Post by emrr »

Excellent looking gear, sir. Welcome.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Foona

Post by Foona »

Thank you so much!

I hope to please with my design for the Picco to.
You can expect an "old school" design in wood. :)
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

In the image for Ucapps Midibox64 - "Dubmasta" in the upper left-hand corner there is a box that looks to be a power supply in a wooden case. When I first looked at that picture I immediately noticed what appears to be a double saw kerf at each end. Is that what that is?

Back in the early 70s my brother's company made digital clock kits and we used walnut cases having the double kerf around the display bezel. I thought of that clock. I think I still have a couple of ones in cases. The saw cut adds a nice embellishment.
Foona

Post by Foona »

Mediatechnology, thank you for taking an interest in my designs!

I am not shure if I understand the term "double saw kerf", but i think
you are talking about the cutted tracks at both ends of the PSU?
You have to forgive me, eventhough I have been speaking english my
whole life there are some phrases I have a hard time grasping.

Either way, I had more detailed photos of the PSU, so I am posting them just for you! ;)

I wasn't sure about allowed sizes for pictures, so I scaled them down do 700(width) pixels.
How big pictures can one post btw?
mediatechnology

Yes, that's it exactly. The saw cut adds a nice touch. I'll dig out one of the clock cases and post it.

I think 700 pix wide is about right. You can post larger images but they introduce a scroll bar. I try to limit mine to around 600-700 but when I have larger images I usually link to them. Sometimes I post both a preview and a larger file size link.

Thanks for sharing your work here. It's really nice-looking stuff and the combination of electronics, metalwork and wood-working is very much like organ building. I used to work for SSL in the console division many years ago and got exposed to the organ side of their business. One of the first things you notice are wooden card frames for the various PC boards. The reason for it is that metal card frames would resonate so badly they can't be used. Inside the organ it gets really loud.
mediatechnology

Roger - Yes I downloaded it last night, burnt an mp3 CD and took it on the morning commute.

Foona - Wow dude, this stuff is really good!

BTW I used Free RAR Extract Frog for WinXP since my RAR utilities are on the Linux machine.

Another 5 thumbs!
Foona

Post by Foona »

WOW! Thank you sirs!

I cannot tell you how pleasing it is to know other souls like my work! :D
However I have to apologise for the low quallity 128Kbps MP3's. After reading
through this forum I understand that quallity sound is just as important to me
as it is to you. I had to save server space, this is the only reason i use LQ media
files.

Meadiatechnology: Btw, did you find those clocks? I would love to see them. :)

[edit]
Btw, some time ago I celebrated 10K profile wievs on my myspace by giving away
another free track! :) The track is "Bring Em Down" aka "Babylon Souldjah".
This track is actually based on Jason Mraz's "butter" hit "Im Your's".

Bring Em Down

The funny thing is, I released this song for free in April. The last time I performed live
(2 weeks ago) people where singing along! I was breath taken and not really prepared at all.
You can hear them singing in this video, if you haven't allready seen it.

Foona LIVE @ Dekår TUNGGUNG "Bring Em Down"

In this video I am performing one of my newest songs from the album "Faga Heba Bennah Ska n' Rocksteady".
The song is called "Morning". Thought mabye you would like it. :)

Foona LIVE @ Dekår TUNGGUNG "Morning"
Last edited by Foona on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mediatechnology

Hey I'll go look for the clocks right now. They may also be in off-site storage.

On the CD: Thanks for sharing the 64MB/download bandwidth! I took the MP3s and burnt them directly to CD. Temporarily I'm driving my wife to work and we "commuted" with your album. It's awesome! I guess the measure of how much we like it is that several of the tunes are now stuck in my head. I need to move the MP3s at home to my playlist folder.

Wayne
Foona

Post by Foona »

:D :D

Make shure you grab the free track I linked to in my recent post at page 1.
I made an edit, so I just want to make shure you saw it. :)