Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:48 pm
JR. wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:24 pm
Wind power is a very mature technology (think windmills in Holland) with sundry mechanical (passive) speed regulation systems. Having moving parts means wear and tear and maintenance.
Can you point me to a commercially available small wind turbine that incorporates these features? I didn’t run across any when I was looking. Wind seems well suited for industrial scale energy production.
no because I never looked.... Just because a technology is mature doesn't mean it is cost effective, widely available, or effective for that matter.
Small water turbines don’t require nearly as much mantainace as a wind turbines from what I’ve read. It makes sense to me they take less maintenance because there is less variation in water velocity. Especially in fresh water. Not all mechanical systems are equal in mantainance.
I owned some property outside Atlanta that had running water through the property... not much head but back then I considered combining a low head water turbine with a ground based heat pump. Luckily for me I never had to deliver on that pipe dream (same house with the overly optimistic greenhouse in my attic). :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:59 pm
Just because a technology is mature doesn't mean it is cost effective, widely available, or effective for that matter.

My point was that small scale wind is not practical.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I'm confused. Are we talking wind turbines or wind pumps?
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Today the throttle cable slipped on the mower. I readjusted and now have full throttle for the first time in 8 years. Halved the time mowing the front lawn :D Must order a replacement. It's only £15...
Gold

Post by Gold »

billshurv wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:34 pm I'm confused. Are we talking wind turbines or wind pumps?
I was talking about wind turbines in general. I’m not familiar with one dedicated to running a pump.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 am
billshurv wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:34 pm I'm confused. Are we talking wind turbines or wind pumps?
I was talking about wind turbines in general. I’m not familiar with one dedicated to running a pump.
The one up the road from me is probably pumping water out of a deep well (unconfirmed speculation).

I also was talking about electricity generation the more obvious modern application. Electricity can run a pump but not vice versa.

In fact some of the old school Dutch windmills were pumping water from the land that was below sea level. Those windmills commonly milled grain, but could also saw lumber, etc.

AFAIK most modern large scale wind farming is focussed on electricity generation.

JR

PS: Speaking of loose throttle cables we sometimes tolerate things that could be improved with simple adjustments, if they aren't too annoying. I have a few like that I should fix. I had to replace one of the shift cables on my new bike a couple months ago, that bike by definition is not new anymore if I already wore out a shift cable.
Gold

Post by Gold »

There are special water pumps for use with solar. They are made to pump constantly with a consistent electric draw to avoid the turn on current peak. My well pump is 4500W at start up and 2200W to run it. I looked into solar but in addition to a large solar array I’d need a new pump. This pump was $2500. I didn’t think it made sense. We just run the pump to fill up containers or during a shower from a generator.
JR.

Post by JR. »

There is probably an electronic solution to provide the extra start up current, but apparently they are able to charge a premium for that in the more expensive pump, so not motivated to offer a cheaper solution.

If there was more demand a solution would probably emerge, or you could design one. 8-)

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:54 pm apparently they are able to charge a premium for that in the more expensive pump, so not motivated to offer a cheaper solution.
The solar pump is about the same price as the regular pump. I’d have to sell a brand new pump at a loss, buy a new pump and buy and install solar panels. That’s the hang up.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Can batteries be used to provide the start-up inrush current?
I suppose that requires an over-sized inverter.

Inrush is what keeps me from running A/C on the generator.