Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm good rainy day project

DSCF0161.JPG
DSCF0160.JPG

This sucker drank a full half pint of rustoleum red... Now it will surely outlast me if i didn't jinx it by spiffing it up.

Something odd and a little creepy, I didn't search for paint and never said "Rustoleum" out loud until I was in the walmart store looking for some paint, but since then I have been getting rustoleum ads pushed at me in social media. Since I paid my walmart shopping off with cash, unless they use facial recognition (unlikely) how would I end up on rustoleums target list?

Maybe this targeted advertising really is psychic? or psycho. :lol:

JR
Home Depot And Lowe's Accused Of Scanning Millions Of Customers Faces

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/ho ... mers-faces
JR.

Post by JR. »

I didn't read the link but recall that some mass merchants use facial recognition to manage aggressive serial shoplifters.

walley world video tapes the self check out stations, or says they do, to help keep customers honest.

I keep coming back to that scene in minority report where he is walking in a shopping mall and each store scans his eyeballs and pitches him products. Good science fiction predicts the future while that movie was a little too far out there. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I am glad I don't have to wear white gloves to operate a computer!
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Today's fix was the motorised head on a cordless dyson. Now whilst I generally find sir James a smug prick I needed a lightweight vac after wife had had her first C-section as the Numatic was too heavy for her to carry up the stairs and this was on special. It's good for a quick once over each day (which is the use case) but not much cop otherwise.

Anyway the motorised head had stopped working. This is due to my wife having long lush Indian hair and moulting like a labrador. One end of the beater bar is easy to clean. The other requires a T9 torx and almost complete dissassembly to get at where the hair has wrapped itself up against the bearing. but at £50 for a new head I wasn't about to give in :)

I miss my mum's old hoover. The drive for the beater bar on that came from the fan motor and had a 6mm diameter O-ring drive. Enough HP to just melt the hair!

Next house will be hard floors and rugs all round. Fed up of carpet, but that's a rant for another day!
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 pm Today's fix was the motorised head on a cordless dyson. Now whilst I generally find sir James a smug prick
Thank you for that, I'm glad I am not the only one who can't stand him. It's OK to be clever, not OK to tell everybody how clever you are, over and over. :lol:
I needed a lightweight vac after wife had had her first C-section as the Numatic was too heavy for her to carry up the stairs and this was on special. It's good for a quick once over each day (which is the use case) but not much cop otherwise.

Anyway the motorised head had stopped working. This is due to my wife having long lush Indian hair and moulting like a labrador. One end of the beater bar is easy to clean. The other requires a T9 torx and almost complete dissassembly to get at where the hair has wrapped itself up against the bearing. but at £50 for a new head I wasn't about to give in :)
I recently bought a set of torx heads to remove the MAF sensor from my car to clean, and nooooo. It used a "security torx" that has a bump in the middle so regular torx don't work.
I miss my mum's old hoover. The drive for the beater bar on that came from the fan motor and had a 6mm diameter O-ring drive. Enough HP to just melt the hair!
+1 on Hoover... with the beater brush, mine even has a dirt sensor to tell me when it stops picking up dirt, if I am patient enough. I wrote about it right here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=406 when I fixed it in 2011. The beater brush bushing/bearing is plastic, and after years of service melted and deformed to the point it no longer worked. While not exactly cheap I was pleased to find the exact repair parts, to get it back running. Now 8 years later all good. 8-) I seriously considered getting a new vacuum back then, but the old one works really well when it works.
Next house will be hard floors and rugs all round. Fed up of carpet, but that's a rant for another day!
I am waiting for the dry winter months, we are still getting mid 90s so not winter yet, when I drag out my souped up carpet cleaner (Bissell big green). Already a formidable carpet cleaner stock, I made it more so by taping over a major fraction of the inlet port, concentrating the suction to a smaller swath of carpet... it really works well. Instead of cutting grass every weekend I suck up old dirt from my carpet on weekends.

In hindsight light (beige) colored carpets was not my best decision ever :oops: , but I have them looking better and better every winter, after years of neglect. I am still pulling some very old dirt from the worst spots where it got concentrated. There is something rewarding about filling the tank with clean hot water, and pouring out very dirty gray water literally full of dirt extracted from deep in my carpets.

JR

PS: You are correct, without constant attention carpets are a probable modern health hazard. When I started cleaning mine a few years back I would get some real funky smells from the warm water energizing stuff living deep in the carpets. They sell antibiotic cleaning solutions that control that but my early attempts shampooing smelled a little funky. Now I think I just use some dilute white vinegar instead of fancy antibiotic shampoo. The only good thing about time going by faster when we are old, is that winter will be here before I know it. :lol:
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Oak hardwood and porcelain tile here on a pier and beam subfloor.

Back in our slab house I went to bare concrete one day.
In a 20x20 foot room after I got the carpet and padding up I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with silt.
The vacuum obviously didn't do much.

I have an elderly neighbor who grew up on dirt floors.
Once she married and could afford it was wall to wall carpet.
Her kitchen floor is white carpet and somehow its always spotless.
I would not want to cook in her kitchen and be responsible for that floor.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

The Passat used not only security torx but 5 point not 6. So I now have multiple sets of torx and can get most things apart. Nintendo DS used to be a sod to get into and have a full dissection kit for those from when the kids all had them.

You jogged my memory. Our hoover burned out the plastic bearing as well and we ended up with the only 2 tone hoover in town as the spare mouldings were only available in white. Same model is in the local museum now...

I too must admit to the pleasure of seeing clean water turn to grey mud. I don't own a carpet cleaner so rent a rug doctor each spring when the wife and little ones head off for a few days to see family. We have a light rug in the living room and that darkens again within days so I think the dirt is migrating back up after the clean. However a new rug is £30 so not that bothered.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:02 pm Oak hardwood and porcelain tile here on a pier and beam subfloor.

Back in our slab house I went to bare concrete one day.
In a 20x20 foot room after I got the carpet and padding up I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with silt.
The vacuum obviously didn't do much.

I have an elderly neighbor who grew up on dirt floors.
Once she married and could afford it was wall to wall carpet.
Her kitchen floor is white carpet and somehow its always spotless.
My house when I bought it, had carpeting in the kitchen and bathroom. Neither seemed like a good idea. I had the kitchen (indoor/outdoor) carpeting replaced with linoleum. The bathroom regular carpeting got replaced with a cheap wood floor, and that old very funky carpet got dragged outside and ceremoniously burned. :lol:

I would not want to cook in her kitchen and be responsible for that floor.
The kitchen carpet didn't turn out to be that bad, the bathroom carpet was as bad as you would expect.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

JR. wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:13 pm Well my free warranty replacement dehumidifier showed up so I now have 4... actually 3 1/2 since the old 70 pint unit has faulty temperature readings.

I took the bad one apart and unplugged what I think is the thermistor temp sensor. It measures 11k+ which sounds plausible. TB style thermistors are 10k nominal at 25'C Low temp is higher resistance so I'm on the right track looking for an open circuit but need to pull the circuit board.

Pulled the circuit board and found what looked like the smoking gun... a bad solder connection on the thermistor header... resoldered that and re-assembled .... bummer same low temp fault as before...

Perhaps still a bad thermistor but without knowing what it should measure new I am stuck. I don't feel like taking the new dehumidifier apart to measure, or take the old one apart again, so I will stick a fork in this for now and keep it as a back up to use only as needed, by setting the RH threshold about 12 pts high.

I was really optimistic when I saw that header with questionable solder but that's how it goes. :oops:

JR
The replacement dehumidifier, now almost 4 years old with daily use, is starting to make bad noises... May be nearing it's end of life...

I have a plan in waiting. I still have the broken dehumidifier this was a warranty replacement for. My diagnosis and judgement suspects a faulty temperature probe (thermistor/thermocouple), causing it to misread room humidity (they correct humidity based on moisture sensor and temperature).

Next I will need to figure out if it is easier to swap the good compressor and mechanical guts to the failing unit, or good control electronics to the old faulty unit.

I suspect i will figure this out soon enough.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Almost embarrassed to call this a repair but yesterday when I sat down to build some more drum tuners (a good problem), I noticed that my electric screw driver was really puny. I was late to start using an electric screw driver, but really missed it when it was not up to full strength and speed. I even took it apart and didn't find anything wrong...

I charge the screwdriver battery from a switched outlet that is only on while I am working at my bench with the lights over my shipping area on also. I confirmed that the charger lump was making rated voltage, so plugged the charger into an un-switched outlet overnight and magically the screw driver has come back to life.

That was easy.... :lol:

JR
[edit might have another for the "easy" file... My old TV monitor that was too small to read NBA scores on has been repurposed as an almost too big to be my computer monitor... well lately the HDMI1 input has been having trouble syncing/locking up... I switch between three different sources and lately HDMI1 which I use for this computer was a little balky... today I switched source 1 into HDMI3 and so far so good... This guy was a little long in the tooth when I moved it over to computer service so we'll see... how long it lasts. FWIW it is not logical that only one HDMI input would fail. :lol: /edit]

[edit2] bzzt fail moving the computer over th HDMI3 worked for several days, but today started complaining... may be time for a new monitor. Last time I got a big LCD for living room and moved old tv monitor to computer desk...

I could go even bigger in living room but 44" seems big for my computer monitor. :lol: [/edit]