Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

With my own voice echoing in my head saying "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right", I finished widening the last 25' of the trench so now it's side by side the entire length. As I expected it was easier with both pipes pulled up out of the trench but not exactly "make it so #2" easy.. :lol:

While the last 25' of both pipes were up out of the trench the drain stopped draining. The level in the mid ditch by the drains slowly increased as I worked on the lower trench. The direction of water flow between mid and back reversed toward the back again.

Before dark o'clock, I finished my trench improvement and laid both drain pipes down side by side. :D :D :D For the first time since I started this project I saw healthy water flowing from both the low pipe and the high pipe (1 1/2" higher at the drain box). The last 25' are still open, but I replaced all the dirt I removed widening the trench on top of the pipes so I don't expect any more floating pipe episodes.

All that is left to do is close up and replace sod on last 25' . High pipe is a few feet shorter than low pipe so I may need to cut a few feet length off my clogged scrap pipe before I discard it.

It was more rewarding than I expected to see water coming from both drain pipes...

My buried drain pipe is now better than functional, better than before. :D

JR

PS Nice full moon tonight but I hear it won't last.... :lol:
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Gold wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 pm Tons of snow in the Adirondacks. I wish I was there. Here are a couple shots from Thanksgiving.
Is that Miss Kitty?
Gold

Post by Gold »

Yes, Kitty Wells. Here is one with Hank. I’m not sure why the photo is rotated. To get the last ones non rotated I had to jump through a bunch of hoops.

That’s what we call the White Pine area. That’s the largest tree on the property. It’s probably about 100ft plus. We feel lucky to have it as most properties these days get logged before they are sold. The days of paying fro property with harvested logs are over. A property across the way from the same person we bought this from is much more heavily logged. There were roads into the property so it was easy to remove the timber.
E446A96D-9F3B-43EE-84CB-A9E775E79C3E.jpeg
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

One of the trials of having a turntable older than my wife is it sometimes gives suprises. Tonight is was sounding awful and was about to swap back to my newer one (which is just younger than her) and suddenly everything literally popped. I reckon I have a sticky bearing. Sounds fine again now but if it happens again I'll have to bit the bullet and clean out the horizontal bearing, which may end in tears...

I have a feeling my love of old turntables is more due to not having a garage with a project car in anymore :)
JR.

Post by JR. »

Here is a picture of my new dual exhaust drain pipe...I added a several foot extension on the short high pipe. The landscaping may look a little rough but the rain forecast for tomorrow will smooth out some of that... the sod, should recover nicely by next summer. The loose dirt will wash down on top of the sod.

Not obvious from this picture but water trickling out of both pipes still. 8-)
DSCF0102.JPG
From this angle you can see my old drain pipe waiting patiently by the road for town pickup... in less than 10 days. Tomorrow is regular trash day so we'll see if they step up and take it early... (I bet not).

I had to cut the 100' pipe down to shorter lengths just to drag it across the yard. Roughly 50% blocked with sand, and quite heavy.
DSCF0104.JPG
JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Congratulations. Now to drain the swamp!
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 am Congratulations. Now to drain the swamp!
I did my best. :lol:

More rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow. It looks like ditches and pipes will stay wet for a while. :roll:

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

billshurv wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 am Congratulations. Now to drain the swamp!
+1!
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 pm
+1!
It looks like I will not have to water my old sod replaced on top of the trench.
DSCF0106.JPG
The mid/back ditch is well above the 12" drain box, and overflow water is flowing across the yard, as it was planned for.
DSCF0105.JPG
The next question is how much sand ends up in front culvert?

Still raining but winding down.... :lol:

JR

PS: I have a new concept for silt control, but a little too soon to work on that.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Here is my new concept for silt control...
DSCF0064.JPG
This is the mid side ditch and culvert (to right of power pole) where most of the silt is coming from. I am thinking of lining the ditch with landscaping fabric. Of course I have to wait until the ditch is dry, but lining the bottom of the ditch with fabric, should make it easier to catch and remove silt over time. Before it clogs up my buried drain pipes.

The buried drain is working, despite overflow yesterday the back ditch water level is now inches below the top of the drain boxes and still draining lower. The two drain pipes seem to drain faster than before, certainly faster than when it was clogged. :lol:

JR

PS My sump pump has been running for a couple hours already this morning pulling water from beneath my house. The ground is saturated from all the rain this year.