Audio Precision ATS-1 Access

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
emrr

Audio Precision ATS-1 Access

Post by emrr »

I'm just starting to become acquainted with this piece of test equipment. Any power users here? I'm not sure I'm smart enough to use it properly.

Wondering what the current best printer / capture solution is. It has a female DB-25 parallel printer port and can follow Epson/IBM dot-matrix/ink jet standard or PCL ink jet/laser jet standard. It also has IEEE-488 (GPIB) interface for control. I haven't even sorted whether that allows for data capture via host computer, or not.

Is it worth having the IMD option added? It's not cheap, nor is anything related to Audio Precision. This unit has BNC and banana jack connections, and after looking into the XLR panel cost I will probably just make some XLR pigtails.

How do you feel about calibration, given the unit passes the self test? I understand there are some batteries that help store some cal settings, and service may be required at that time.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

Re: Audio Precision ATS-1 Access

Post by mediatechnology »

Wondering what the current best printer / capture solution is.
Screen capture? Not an ATS-1 user but a good Win screen capture utility is HoverSnap! http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

If it passes self-diagnostics that's a good start. For a reality check you could bridge the gen out into the ATS-1 and your soundcard and run VisualAnalyser in parallel to cross-check the numbers.

Visual Analyser (free): http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm

If it supports PCL you should be OK with HP-family of products. I have an ancient DOS program that exsited when the LJ II was current and that driver works with the most current printer I have, an HP P2035. The PCL5 LJ II and Inkjet drivers also work well with the Netgear print servers. I see a fairly broad compatability.

Checkout Visual Analyser before you buy that IMD. A really good Soundcard (or whatever converter you're using now) and VA might be a less-expensive alternative to the IMD option.
emrr

Post by emrr »

Things to consider, it's all french to me since I've not dealt with a PC in over a decade. ATS-1 has no simple connection to even get a screen capture. Seems data can be pulled in via GPIB, but I'm made to understand GPIB hardware and decent control software is pricey.

I need to get a list of questions together and get an AP system engineer on the phone for a conversation. Me: dumbass, them: hopefully gracious.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Seems data can be pulled in via GPIB
I think it may be the AP version of GPIB aka APIB which IIRC had some protocol enhancements. In the past I think people bought AP interfaces though I do know of someone controlloing them through GPIB hardware.

I had forgotten that it had an LCD. Kinda hard to screen capture that without a camera. Kinda hard with...