Off Grid Power

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Off Grid Power

Post by JR. »

we need to be optimistic when beginning a project and pessimistic when checking our work.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I think I have the kinks worked out. The lights are powered from the batteries and the battery charger is charging the batteries in use.

Gold

Post by Gold »

We have stayed in the cabin four times now. The electric system has been working out well. One set of batteries lasts a five day weekend powering two 15W LED bulbs. I'm going to add an outside light fixture next time. I'm very pleased with how the cabin is coming out. It's very comfortable for such a small space.

I've been thinking about a second career in property development in ADK. It's very difficult to get anything done there. Even locals are shocked we were able to get this far this fast. The excavator who has become a friend brought up working together on a property unsolicited. He knows I'm not Mr. Moneybags so he sees the non monetary value we brought to developing our site. A good sign.

It turns out I can run electric up the hill. I'll do that next year. It will make things much easier.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I love T-Slot framing. The sleeping loft is T-Slot framing with Eastern White Cedar planks.

More T-Slot framing for the wood stove stand. Earl found his spot. He's 15 so isn't as active anymore.

mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Wow!

It's absolutely beautiful there Paul!
I'm inspired to go build a tiny home deep down in the woods.
My wife has wanted a studio there.
I've had that dream since a kid when the clubhouse on the second terrace got torn down.

Your project and wilderness adventure remind me of Richard Proenneke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

I'm afraid I would never be able to go back to the city once I went there.
I barely leave the "cabin" now. :lol:
Earl looks pretty comfortable too.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thanks Wayne. It's been a struggle but it's starting to pay off. I keep telling myself and my GF that we are on an exponential curve and we are just rounding the knee. I think Christmas should be relaxing. There is nothing that has to get done RIGHT NOW but there is plenty to do. We have made some plan B's that are really helping. Like being able to take showers at a friends house. The water system and water house still aren't together. I didn't drain it in October and it was frozen when we got there. I think I'll run new hose next time instead of trying to figure out how to thaw this one. We can work on the water shed at something less than a break neck pace.
emrr

Post by emrr »

Looking good!
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Gold

Post by Gold »

The battery system has been working great. For some reason one of the lights blew the breaker two times. One time everything blinked and the one bulb blew the individual breaker. Another time it just went out. I exercised the connections and generally shook everything without the breaker blowing. Mysterious. We stayed 10 days this time. There was three feet of snow so the car couldn't go to the top of the hill. I had to drag replacement batteries up the hill in a sled midway through the time there.

My GF brought up the possibility of using wind power. I hadn't thought of that. It looks like small wind turbines aren't terribly expensive. The place I bought the batteries from sells wind turbines. They say that if average wind speed is below 12MPH then don't bother. There is usually wind there. Especially in the driveway which acts as a sort of wind tunnel as there are no trees to break the wind. I'm going to get a logging weather monitor and see what kind of wind speeds I have there.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I'm starting to see the way I want the electrical system to go. Even though it's possible to run grid power up the hill I would prefer to stay off grid. The town power went out two times since we've been going. We're not there that much. I'd rather spend the money being self sufficient.

We've been through a bunch of different site plans. We roll with the punches..I've decided I'd like to get two more sheds. One will be another sleeping cabin for guests and the other will be the kitchen/dining room. Each sleeping cabin will have a couch. The table will move to the dining room and I'll put in a normal modern kitchen. One design feature of the sleeping loft is that you can locate a couch so it's halfway under the loft. The average seat height of a couch is 20' to 22'" high. You can sit down with your head in front of the cross bar. When you lean back you'd have to be very tall to hit your head on the crossbar. Same thing in reverse. Every inch counts.

I think each of the three cabins will get a wind turbine and I'll change the well pump to a solar pump. That type of well pump could be powered with solar or wind. That would run everything off grid with renewable energy. I like that.