New York Hi-Fi Show

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

New York Hi-Fi Show

Post by Gold »

The New York Hi-Fi Show is this coming weekend. I'm going with a few audio professionals. Phil S from Sterling took me a couple of years ago and I had a great time. The show takes over a hotel and the rooms become demo rooms. This year it's on Central Park South so should be a nice view too. I couldn't make it last year but I'm looking forward to it. Bruno Putseys new speaker will be there. I hope to check out the KEF E301 that Ricardo recommended. I also want to check out the PS audio Sprout. The plan is to power the KEF's with that.

Anybody want me to check out any thing?
JR.

Re: New York Hi-Fi Show

Post by JR. »

Anything that Bruno Putzey does will probably be decent. (I am impressed with his class D amps). There are some interesting speaker design advancements made for large scale sound reinforcement. For consumer playback I expect more benefits from DSP active room treatments (EQ and reverberation management since high SPL isn't the problem).

They'll probably revisit mega dollar turntables for the resurgent vinyl trend. I recall seeing some $20k tube amps at NYC AES last century.

It looks like music sales finally turned positive after many years of decline but the difference appears to be digital music sales, not physical media. Consumers appear to be moving beyond the music should be free mentality.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote: They'll probably revisit mega dollar turntables for the resurgent vinyl trend. I recall seeing some $20k tube amps at NYC AES last century.
Last time there was a turntable that used an electric military mini submarine propeller motor. The designer said it was the quietest most accurate motor he could find. I didn't ask the price...
JR.

Post by JR. »

Isn't somebody levitating a turntable platter? That won't be cheap...

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

JR. wrote:Isn't somebody levitating a turntable platter? That won't be cheap...

JR
I saw that. Probably won't be good either. That's a whole lot of changes physics wise. I would't trust it unless it was a university research project or I saw a peer reviewed paper. Looks way cool though.
JR.

Post by JR. »

magnets...

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

I had a good time at the show. There wasn't too much that I was impressed with. Unfortunately KEF wasn't there. The Technics Reference Series setup sounded great. The new ATC SCM40A actives sounded great. I have the older passive SCM40's at home and I don't like them at all. Lot's of weird and wacky stuff.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Lot's of weird and wacky stuff.
Why am I not surprised. :lol: