failure to communicate

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

failure to communicate

Post by JR. »

I figure that I should start a different thread for all my equipment failures that don't seem to be entropy (disorder) but digital brains than can't execute the trapeze act start-up sequence.

I have several examples...

1: most recently my cheap hot air station failed to start up... After I gave up and ordered a replacement ($40) I decided to give it one last try before moving it off my bench so i could rework a few boards the old school way (with a soldering iron). Surprise surprise, the hot air station came up...I left is apart and sprawled across my bench as I reworked about a dozen boards that will hold me until the replacement arrives. Of course after the hot air station cooled off. I cycled it off and on again... no luck. :lol:

2: This is an odd one... a year or two ago i bought a new cheap electric blanket, just to use for the coldest nights... didn't need it once last winter, but this new improved cheap blanket has a microprocessor brain... If the power blinks off some brief amount of time, the electric blank processor locks up and won't respond to it's controls. it needs to be unplugged and replugged to unlatch... Just this week the power blinked off briefly in the night, just long enough to reset my clocks. (I left the blanket unplugged, with global warming I won't need it.

3: I've shared this one before, the cheap surround sound decoder I bought to get my home theater rig up and working would not boot up with the supplied wall wart PS. I figured this out by unplugging and replugging the DC power cord after the PS stabilized. The fix for this was a new different wall wart that is boots up with.

4: My last example today is my slow cooker... Apparently if i remove power then power it up from the line cord, it locks up sometimes... once it is started and running I can turn it off using it's front panel button controls. The processor apparently runs all the time. Since i can't get it to stay broken it is not obvious how to fix, so for now I can use it like it is.... Coincidentally the other night when the power blinked and my electric blanket lost it's digital mind the slow cooker was slow cooking overnight and ignored the power blip without skipping a beat...

Interesting times....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Re: failure to communicate

Post by JR. »

The replacement hot air station showed up and works.. so all good... :D

[edit] I notice the former hot air station was labelled CE which can be self described and is meaningless for US market, not UL. The new one doesn't even pretend to be CE they have no agency marks... Might be time to put a GFCI outlet on my bench. [/edit]

======

The slow cooker is still working too,,, as long as it doesn't power cycle, and have to reboot.. :oops:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.