Wings Over Dallas Airshow (Over My House)

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Wings Over Dallas Airshow (Over My House)

Post by mediatechnology »

This weekend was the Wings Over Dallas Airshow held at Dallas Executive (Redbird) Airport.

http://wingsoverdallas.org/

My house is about a block off runway 17/35's center line. I'm about 3500' from the end of the runway.
Except for the 2011 Superbowl held in Arlington and our occasional air shows our airport is quite sleepy.
When the air show pilots fly a short final approach or do a flyover the aircraft bank right over the house.

I've been trying to get a really close-up picture of "Fifi," a B-29.
When it flies over your house you're definitely part of the experience.
There's also a lot of pyrotechnics.

In 2013 I took a picture of the Goodyear blimp passing over my roof and chimney.

Here is a pic of my father in 1955 also taken at Redbird Airport.

mediatechnology

Falcon 10 Takeoff

Post by mediatechnology »

As I mentioned my father was a pilot and I grew up, and now also live, near Redbird Airport (RBD) now known as "Dallas Executive Airport."

Many of our neighbors were and still are pilots. A close neighbor of ours recently passed away and at her estate sale I found a photograph of her husband taking off in a Falcon 10. This photo was too cool to pass up.

William Baughn Colvin piloting Falcon 10 on takeoff. Photo by ranch hand Jim Ross. Harrison Ranch near Senora, Texas. Spring 1990.

When DFW Airport opened my parents and I took a tour. We got to board the Concorde and go out onto the ramp and look at it from underneath. This is way cooler.