Nichicon "Audio" Electrolytic Caps

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
mediatechnology

The "best" capacitor is the one you have...

Post by mediatechnology »

I gave up doing house calls back in the 1990s.

I did travel with a Zero/Halliburton suitcase full of spares.
"Be prepared," the Scout's moto, stayed with me in the service business.

I briefly had a client in Louisiana with a studio that had been paid for by the father of the "owner."
Big Daddy's name was "Bill."
Bill made his fortune (millions) by introducing coin-operated laundries into the southern states.
The rest is history.

Bill was proud to say "I made my fortune one quarter at a time."

After a long maintenance session I presented my invoice to Bill.
He looked at me and said: "What are you a a freakin' brain surgeon?" "The last guy only charged only charged $20 per hour."

I responded with "Yes, I am a brain surgeon." "Did the last guy that came here have a suitcase full of parts to fix what he found broken?"
"That's the difference. Anyone can come here and tell you what you already know: Your machine is broken. You already knew that. I had the parts to fix it. That costs money."

He stopped complaining and wrote out the check.

I'd say that the "best" capacitor, in a service situation, is the one you have that gets the client back online.
Gold

Re: Nichicon "Audio" Electrolytic Caps

Post by Gold »

I use the brown PW series and the black HE series. Some values are not available in each line or one has a better form factor than the other. I started with Nichicon because Mouser didn't carry Panasonic when I started ordering stuff. I like Mouser better than Digikey.

I think I will be taking a road trip next week to install a lathe in Atlanta. I haven't had to put together a to go kit in a few years.
mediatechnology

Gold wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm I think I will be taking a road trip next week to install a lathe in Atlanta. I haven't had to put together a to go kit in a few years.
Send us pics of the installation if you can.
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 pm Send us pics of the installation if you can.
Will do. It's quick in and out. It was rebuilt about five years ago by an ace so hopefully everything will go smoothly.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I got back from Atlanta on Friday. The lathe went in with remarkably few problems. The lathe was in excellent physical condition and basically came right up. It was cutting records a few weeks ago and was picked up in a mini van and driven to its new home. Not shipping it is a huge advantage in avoiding mechanical damage.

I don’t have permission to post a photo and I only took one as I was pretty busy. I was only there for one full day and two half days.
mediatechnology

Glad it went quickly for you.
Hopefully you didn't have to dig into the "to go kit."
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:22 pm Glad it went quickly for you.
Hopefully you didn't have to dig into the "to go kit."
I had to get some dollar store luggage because my to go kit is a Klein Tools canvas bag. I needed something that could be checked and wouldn’t crush.

Since I’m a hand tool nut I took my Wiha Series 6 blade set. I have screwdrivers, hex drivers and nut drivers. At home I use PB Swiss screwdrivers. I brought my extra long PB Swiss flat blades bought especially to install the turntable shaft. It’s hard to get to those screws.

The electronics came up with no issues. The PSU’s were recapped but it looked like only what was broken was replaced elsewhere. I put it together and flipped the switch. No magic smoke. Did the tests that need to be done. Then calibrated with the dummy head. Then put on the cutterhead. No issues.

The mechanics of the lathe were very good. No wonky bearings. The groove looked good right off the bat. I didn’t struggle to get a good mechanical calibration either.

It’s one of the nicer lathes I’ve seen.
mediatechnology

The mini-van ride does seem like the best way to do it.
The cost of the van rental and driver seems so much less than the risk of shipping damage via a commercial carrier.
Was it a long road trip for the lathe?
Gold

Post by Gold »

It came from LA to Atlanta. It was disassembled by a qualified person too.
mediatechnology

That's a nice road trip.
Good roads too.