VCA bus mixer using all THAT all the time

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
mediatechnology

Re: VCA bus mixer using all THAT all the time

Post by mediatechnology »

The VCA distortion will surely be uncorrelated since the individual audio inputs are all uncorrelated.
Well, yeah. I guess we don't run correllated test tones in the real world. Forgot about that... :oops:

I got that argument muddled with the parallel/differential VCA argument such as the GSSL folks who run them differentially to cancel THD - they don't. In parallel configurations the signal rises by 6 dB/pair where THD and noise rise by 3 dB/pair. So 6 dB in cost buys 3 dB.

The THD mechanisim though is internal transistor Vbe match which is random. You might get some cancellation.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I guess I could look this up, how does the noise floor compare for newer small geometry VCAs versus previous stuff?

If I was trying to market a stand alone mixer, noise floor would be a metric of interest to buyers, even though I've been saying for decades the bus noise floor will be dominated by one mic preamp at nominal gain.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR -

The 22 kHz BW noise performance is about the same comparing a 2162 to a 2181 around -98 at 0 dB gain.

The primary difference is THD performance with the larger-geometry parts being better.

IIRC correctly the output C was 3 pF vs. 15 pF.

Wayne
JR.

Post by JR. »

I feel like I can design around the capacitance... and in a large console you might need to accommodate a lot of inputs... I don't know what it's like these days but I did one console with some 120 inputs to L/R and I doubt it was the biggest around. So the difference between 3 pf and 15pf is 5x but still potentially an issue at 100x.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.