Any opinions on this console?

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
JR.

Re: Any opinions on this console?

Post by JR. »

I have known Steve for many years. I think I wrote a letter pointing out a mistake in one of those Studio Sound console articles. Nothing major but IIRC he generated a bunch of hypothetical topologies and one of them did not do what the article said it would.

I had written an article on console design (RE/P magazine) back in 1980 and he was one of the few people in the industry who believed my claims about current source summing. Steve walked up to me at a trade show a couple years later and told me he used my idea in a broadcast console (Alice?) where the reduced noise gain was very helpful to reduce potential for rectification in the buses due to high RF fields.

The closest I ever came to working with him was later when I was at Peavey and he did some design consulting for us on a digital console project. AFAIK the project never saw production but I do recall seeing a working prototype channel strip. Some may think it unusual for an old analog dog to be working with DSP, but its just another tool that works very well and Steve is a talented designer.

My best Steve Dove story is when he was touring with AC/DC and I visited with him backstage before a show in Hartford CT. It was the Hells-Bells tour and the fire marshal had them test fire the pyro. Steve and I were in a closet sized backstage office talking when they blew off the loud explosion inches away from our door. The crew got a good laugh as our room filled with smoke and we staggered out. :o

I haven't talked to Steve in years but last I heard he was living in PA.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

That link to a bend primer supports my point that they call it art because they don't have a handle on the variables. Their "K" factor is just a classic fudge factor.

Another variant they didn't mention is bending finished metal. We used to use some special dies that I think were teflon coated or some such treatment, to not scrape the surface of vinyl coated steel we used in a lot of chassis. In many cases we would silk screen products like large mixers in the flat, then bend them later.

Trial and error is still used, but less often with the amount of machine control that has found it's way into the machine area.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Gold

Post by Gold »

emrr wrote: I'm surprised there's not been anyone reporting a personal experience with ANY vendor for this sort of work.
There is a guy in my building who does a lot of custom one off metalwork for artists. He does beautiful work. One sculpture he fabricated was a column of 2' high chinese food containers with alternating small ends and large ends face to face. Beautiful and complicated bends. I also saw an Henri Bendel bag he made for what I assume was a window display. I doubt he's cheap and I know he's a little cranky but he does great work. I'm going to have him make the frame for the console I'm building. Maybe you would have better luck in Ashville.