Any opinions on this console?

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
Crusty

Re: Any opinions on this console?

Post by Crusty »

JR. wrote:
CX deserved to fail, what a group of clowns...
That's a cool story! See what you get for trying to help out a mega-conglomerate? I vaguely remember CX - an expander or something for LP's? I think I had a Clash record that said CX on it. I never could stand noise reduction much until Dolby SR. It worked pretty well, even out of alignment. Awesome at 15ips - huge bottom end and no tape hiss...

As far as Neve and transformers, I'd say they didn't use them long enough! LOL Went to instant crap after they pulled them out. But there are many reasons for that. And I'm not a transformer-is-a-panacea kinda guy either - none of my designs have used them so far and it can be a real uphill battle convincing people that you don't need them to have a "sound". But rock records are just easier to do on old Neves and APIs - they're extremely forgiving of bad engineering technique. And I especially love the sound of the passive mixing on the old Neves - it started to really sound good when the vu meters pegged.

As far as the metalwork goes, this is all derived from a design for burn-in racks that I need to build. So I'll see how it all goes with those and I can get a better idea of the feasability and what it might cost to build up a console frame...

Emrr, sounds like a job that any local sheetmetal shop should be able to handle - ones that do air conditioning stuff would probably be the cheapest. Don't mention the word restoration though! That is sure to add to the price...
emrr

Post by emrr »

Crusty wrote: Emrr, sounds like a job that any local sheetmetal shop should be able to handle - ones that do air conditioning stuff would probably be the cheapest. Don't mention the word restoration though! That is sure to add to the price...
Yeah, that's what people tell me. Apparently I live in one of the most backward places around. I've yet to find anyone who wishes to tackle any sort of custom one-off. Unless it's NASCAR related. At this point I'd be happy sending an order to a shop with a good referral.

It get's crazy; I need a chassis I can then machine, and then send out for chrome plating. Won't be cheap any way I slice it.

Please keep us posted on your metal adventures.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
JR.

Post by JR. »

I thought there were some guys on prodigy talking about personal purchases of hand brakes (to bend sheet metal), shears, and maybe even some modest NC milling capacity. If somebody made such a personal investment they would surely be interested in getting some more use out of it. I know one guy who had a brake and shear in his basement but he wouldn't be interested in doing work for other folk.

Perhaps talk to your chrome shop and ask them who is bringing chassis to them to chrome plate, in between the old car bumpers and motorcycle parts. Seems like there should be a lot of underutilized equipment in machine shops and such.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
emrr

Post by emrr »

I followed up with the Prodigy folks I could find, but so far no luck. And similar experiences around here; people with equipment unwilling to take an outside one-off. Very strange. Thanks for the input, though. I'm surprised there's not been anyone reporting a personal experience with ANY vendor for this sort of work.
Best,

Doug Williams
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

http://www.emachineshop.com/

The software is pretty slick and sort of fun. Never ordered though. Prices aren't too bad looking for one-offs...

Edit: Wrong: I imported a design and priced it - 1 piece is same as 25 piece.
emrr

Post by emrr »

That's the best thing I've seen so far, and have had it bookmarked. Now to buy a PC....
Best,

Doug Williams
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

emrr wrote:That's the best thing I've seen so far, and have had it bookmarked. Now to buy a PC....
Still running the ENIAC, eh?... I bet it would run under an emulator like fusion:
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Roger, the nice thing about that emachineshop package is that it accounts for bend allowance as you draw, which is actually a little tricky and where the artisan part of sheetmetal comes in.

Here's a board that is nicely configurable:

http://rupertneve.com/products/analogue ... gurations/

Sorry JR, lots of transformers in the pic - and the word "buss" in the text...LOL
emrr

Post by emrr »

Crusty wrote:
emrr wrote:That's the best thing I've seen so far, and have had it bookmarked. Now to buy a PC....
Still running the ENIAC, eh?... I bet it would run under an emulator like fusion:
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Actually looks like I could run Windows under Boot Camp in Leopard, which I have on the MBP. I hate the thought of paying for Windows though.
Best,

Doug Williams
JR.

Post by JR. »

'BUS' is kind of a hobby of mine. I recall a spirited discussion with the editor of Studio Sound back when there was a Studio Sound about buss being the "brit" spelling, which he vehemently denied (he was an editor after all). Spelling bus wrong seems to an affectation of some console marketers, while every other electronic engineering discipline manages to get it right. You won't find a buss on a computer backplane.
----
I could tell stories about bend allowances too (but I won't)... IMO it isn't art.. but some metal knockers think it is because they approach it more as trial and error rather than scientifically. While well understood, it isn't trivial to compensate for every factor in practice so I can understand the utility of trial and error.

JR

PS: I don't begrudge Rupert's success, he sold a lot more big consoles than I ever did. I am reminded of when I was a tiny console maker promoting transformerless consoles back in the late '70s.

PPS; I have used Emachine and they are OK. Not cheap but parts agreed with the print.
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

"Buss" didn't bug me until you brought it up. Now I notice it all the time. LOL

I was reading a Studio Sound the other day - one of the series of Steve Dove articles from the early eighties - spelled "buss" all the way through. I saw you got an acknowledgment at the end - did you ever work together?

Roger, here's a pretty good bend primer - shows the main techniques of punch pressing: http://www.prototekmanufacturing.com/do ... orming.pdf