KA Electronics/Rockmore-Labs introduces the Stereo Insert Switcher designed by Markus Samper aka majestic12.
This is the construction and application thread for the Stereo Insert Switcher.
The PC Board and other items may be purchased from Etsy. The full list of products available: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=725
The Stereo Insert Switcher Product Page is here: http://www.ka-electronics.com/kaelectro ... itcher.htm
• Full bypass with fully-balanced hot/cold switching. Fully passive.
• Two Inserts with Flip. (14 relays total.)
• PC board can also be loaded and jumpered for single insert or two inserts without flip. (Single Insert uses four relays; Two Insert uses 8 relays.)
• Backbone signal flows through the connections on the left to the right. Insert connections are on the 25 pin D in a modified Tascam format.
• Normal signal flow is Left/Right Backbone In > Insert 1 > Insert 2 > Backbone Left/Right Out.
• When Flip is engaged signal flow is Left/Right Backbone In > Insert 2 > Insert 1 > Backbone Left/Right Out.
• Cascadable using aditional boards in series for more inserts .
• Current-limited LED tally outputs are available.
• Isolated audio and relay grounds.
• Series-parallel coil connection to reduce switching currents. (Coils are 12V, control supply is 24V.)
• Powerable from +/-15V supplies using an external 7824 or LM317 regulator.
• Ideal for MS Matrix Insert/Bypass.
Bill of Materials
The insert switcher can be built as a two insert switcher with flip, an insert switcher without flip or a single insert.
The bill-of-materials is for a two insert with flip.
The BOM cannot be edited. To edit, load it into the shopping cart.
A Mouser bill-of-materials is here: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Pr ... 446ab230fc (Approximately $47 US as of 3/30/16.)
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board, Fully Balanced, Passive, Two Insert with Flip.
Schematic: http://www.ka-electronics.com/images/pd ... ematic.pdf
A note about relays
The relay coil requirements are 12V.
The control supply is 24V: A series/parallel connection is used to reduce current.
The Mouser BOM specifies Omron G5V-2-H1-DC12 "H1" high-sensitivity relays.
With all relays engaged the 24V supply current is about 135 mA.
Panasonic DS2Y relays are polarity sensitive.
Do not use Panasonic relays unless you intend to reverse the control supply, diode and LED polarity.
Omron, Fujitsu, Takamisawa etc. do not have a coil polarity requirement.
Two Inserts with Flip
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board Stuffing Diagram.
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board, Tascam DB-25F Breakout Cable Pinout
You can get breakout cables here:
The insert switcher uses a female DB-25.
Planet Waves provides breakout cables which are also DB-25F.
To use the breakout cables male-to-male snakes are available in various lengths from 5-25 feet.
Female DB25F to Stripped Ends: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-C ... B001PGXIUM
Male DB25M to DB25M 5' Snake: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Modu ... B001G7J2EG
Relay and LED Connections
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board, Relay Control and LED Connector Pinout
To eliminate the Flip function do not install six relays.
The normally-closed contacts of the flip relays are jumpered (shown in pink).
The relays that are not used are RE1,2,4,5,7,8.
Two Inserts without Flip
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board Stuffing Diagram without Flip.
For a single insert or to build a full relay bypass do not install ten relays.
The normally-closed contacts of the insert 2 and flip relays are jumpered.
The relays that are not used are RE1,2,4,5,7,8,10,11,13,14.
Single Insert or Full Bypass
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board Stuffing Diagram Single Insert/Full Bypass.
Split Backbone. Two Independent Full Bypass.
I/O points are at the flip relays.
Stereo Mastering Insert Switcher PC Board Stuffing Diagram for Split Backbone. Useful for Two Independent Full bypass.
Larger version: http://www.ka-electronics.com/images/jp ... _Large.jpg