Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Entropy

Post by JR. »

There is so much iron in my sediment filters I am surprised my water isn't a dead short.... :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Since I installed my electronic outdoor thermometer giving me better visibility into outdoor temperature, I notice it has altered how I set my heat pump thermostat.

When outdoor temps are > 40' if get the 2.5x heat pump gain benefit, while for <40' outside the heat pump switched to resistive heat... This changes from something like 15A draw to 5.5A... Since I am cheap I set thermostat lower when it is colder than 40' outside to use less electricity.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I took my repair technology in a new direction this week. Yesterday while shopping I bought some yarn and a crochet needle, then used them to repair two aging moth eaten sweaters.

One sweater had both armpits eaten out... apparently the buggers like the taste of human sweat flavored wool. The other sweater was more randomly attacked. A third sweater of the same age was completely untouched, no doubt knitted using synthetic yarn.

The yarn color matches better than it should, certainly looks way better than the holes.... Not going to enter any fashion shows, but beating back entropy one decay at a time. :lol:

JR

PS: The moths were hatched from eggs in brown rice (probably from india). I finally learned to stash the new bags of brown rice in the freezer for a couple weeks before opening. Just to be safe I keep the opened rice in sealed air tight zip top plastic bags, but no sign of insects since I started staging them in the freezer for a fortnight. The moths managed to corrupt many of my dry goods that weren't in air tight containers. I also use more air tight containers these days too so no more evidence of insect activity these days beside the occasional adult palmetto bug that probably came in an open door.
Gold

Post by Gold »

For those who don't read Group DIY here is a tool holder I made. I still have to add provision for a couple of small nut drivers and hex drivers. Then I will have all my most used tools at my fingertips without having an unwieldy pile on the bench. It fixed the annoying and perpetually messy bench.

mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Nice tool holder Paul. Industrial strength Aluminum. I have a pile at one end of the bench in kitchen drawer organizer basket-thingys. The tool I need always seems to be on the bottom of the pile.

JR: As to moths and other bugs I'm finding whole cloves and Dr Bronners Pure Peppermint Castille Soap https://www.drbronner.com/ are a good deterrent to just about anything that crawls or flies. Most things hate the smell of Peppermint and cloves and just leave.

Constant Comment tea bags and whole cloves keep the silverfish away that seem to want to feast on paper. They seem to work on moths as well. We always have fresh cut cedar (due to forest entropy) and I keep some of it in the closets too.

I mix a few squirts of the Dr. Bronners with water in a sprayer and mist plants to keep the aphids and spider mites down. Fleas also hate it and I bathe the dog with it. Dr. Bronners Peppermint seems to kill fleas almost on contact because it dissolves their exoskeletons.

I'm also using Dr. Bronners as a cleaner. Works wonders on bathtub soap scum.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:09 pm Nice tool holder Paul. Industrial strength Aluminum. I have a pile at one end of the bench in kitchen drawer organizer basket-thingys. The tool I need always seems to be on the bottom of the pile.

JR: As to moths and other bugs I'm finding whole cloves and Dr Bonners Pure Peppermint Castille Soap https://www.drbronner.com/ are a good deterrent to just about anything that crawls or flies. Most things hate the smell of Peppermint and cloves and just leave.
Moth balls work, but killing the eggs was most effective.

Constant Comment tea bags and whole cloves keep the silverfish away that seem to want to feast on paper. They seem to work on moths as well. We always have fresh cut cedar (due to forest entropy) and I keep some of it in the closets too.

I mix a few squirts of the Dr. Bonners with water in a sprayer and mist plants to keep the aphids and spider mites down. Fleas also hate it and I bathe the dog with it. Dr. Bonners Peppermint seems to kill fleas almost on contact because it dissolves their exoskeletons.
lacewings and ladybugs eat mites (outdoors).
I'm also using Dr. Bonners as a cleaner. Works wonders on bathtub soap scum.
I have been using some "sticky" clorox cleaner on my bowl that already had a hard water ring (stain) despite only being a few years old. Two weeks in and bowl is looking white again.

JR
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:09 pm The tool I need always seems to be on the bottom of the pile.
Exactly my inspiration. Next up is space for the hex drivers and nut drivers I use most often. It could be made very quickly out of wood. Two small planks of wood, two holes and a dowel, done. The basic shape wouldn't take more than 15:00-20:00 to build. If you wanted to be able to put the tools away in a closet you could make a removable bar that goes on the front and locks the pliers in place for transport.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I'd be happy to make you one Wayne. It's the least I could do.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Thanks Paul I really appreciate it.
I may take you up on it after you finish the transfer console for yourself.
I wouldn't want to divert you from that goal.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I’m looking for ways to avoid getting that driven shield going:) After that it’s going through the crossfader with a fine tool comb. I’m also dreading that. I do need to finish up a set of lathe electronics so I can pay may taxes.

Making the tool holder is only a half hour distraction. I’m happy to make one if you want it.