Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

My spelling as awful today based on reading my own quotes.

My brother used to recommend baking soda for hangovers.

My SCOTUS nomination is definitely in jeopardy.
I got some T-slot framing to make a rack for the test bench.
So Paul now that you got a really cool chop saw you had to find an excuse to cut material?
Gold

Post by Gold »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:44 pm So Paul now that you got a really cool chop saw you had to find an excuse to cut material?
I actually order it precut because I haven't been happy with the cutoff wheel. The makeshift chop saw wouldn't work because the pieces of t-slot would be too long to set up on the bench.

Earlier in the week I went over all the saws I have to check the RPM of them. The miter saw I have is a 10" 5400 RPM. I bought a 10" blade for aluminum for the table saw I keep in the mountains. When I go in a few weeks I'll bring the blade back with me and try it in the miter saw. The miter saw is made for wood so it doesn't have a good clamping system for metal stock.

The 14" cutoff saw also turns slower than I thought. If the miter saw experiment goes well I might buy a blade for the cutoff saw. I've done a bunch of research on blades and I have a little better handle on what parameters are important and what differentiates the blades for different materials. McMaster has a 12" blade that can take 9000 RPM. It is labeled for soft metals like coper or brass and it has a negative rake angle. The negative rake angle means the blade doesn't pull the material through the cut. I think that's the ticket. I can also use 12" blade which is $100 instead of $180 for a 14" blade.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:44 pm

My SCOTUS nomination is definitely in jeopardy.
If underage beer drinking excludes one from public service, somebody needs to dig up my old draft board (literally that was half a century ago) and inform them that they drafted me into the army erroneously.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Consistent with the entropy theme my almost new digital camera stopped working... :roll:

Rounding up the obvious suspects I measured and found one of the AAA batteries was low (0.8V).... :oops: Maybe that's why they sell 4 batteries at a time, :lol: while the camera only holds 3, so working again for now... But not a good sign.

====

The new plastic water meter box arrived today so I figured why not?
DSCF0047.JPG
The sod around it isn't pretty (yet) but It will get there.... There were more fire ants on the other side of the cast iron box from where I poisoned 3x already... like I said fire ants like high ground.

The old box doesn't look very heavy in this picture, but it is trust me (cast iron). That cover alone, resting on top, is awkward to handle.
DSCF0048.JPG
I had to use the wheelbarrow to carry it back to my car port, to wait for next months trash pick-up. Just missed this month's pickup by days.

JR
mediatechnology

Sounds like you like to dig and fill holes these days JR.
It's been a common theme.
It was about last time this year I went on a spree of filing holes.

I've never had metal left by the curb stay there longer than 24 hours.
JR.

Post by JR. »

That cast iron is heavy enough that I worry about just leaving it on the side of the road. I can wait until next month.
==
This last week in my monthly trash dump was a half empty gallon of roof patch cement I no longer need, since replacing my roof. I noticed the town worker separate the patch cement from the rest of my junk, and put it in the cab of his back hoe.

On junk day, its like a scavenger free for all starting the night before... I don't mind people grabbing stuff over it ending up in a land fill, but prefer to give the town workers first pick.

JR
mediatechnology

JR. wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:24 am On junk day, its like a scavenger free for all starting the night before... I don't mind people grabbing stuff over it ending up in a land fill, but prefer to give the town workers first pick.

JR
Yeah I missed that one a few years back with all the Heathkits in it.
Your 2SB737 stash may have seen a similar fate. :cry:
Gold

Post by Gold »

I just got word my Fluke 287 is on its way back. No charge. I almost can’t believe it.

I’m getting fast at putting together t-slot framing. The rack is together. I need get some HDPE sheet for the shelves. I have it delivered because the closest source is in north New Jersey. Between the time and the tolls having it delivered sounds cheap. I have some 6RU rails on the way for a few pieces of rack gear.

I’m also going to redo the front wall of the studio.
My view is almost gone with all the new construction so I’m going to cover the windows with HDPE. It will let light in since it is somewhat translucent. It will help with the noise but might not help with the low end. We’ll see.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 am
JR. wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:24 am On junk day, its like a scavenger free for all starting the night before... I don't mind people grabbing stuff over it ending up in a land fill, but prefer to give the town workers first pick.

JR
Yeah I missed that one a few years back with all the Heathkits in it.
Your 2SB737 stash may have seen a similar fate. :cry:
The 737s stash is hiding where all dropped parts go...

JR
mediatechnology

I had to use Fluke repair once many years ago and they were fast.

My Fluke 8060 has a chronic problem with the "zebra" connector between the LCD glass and the main board.
I have replacements but can usually fix it by taking the meter apart and cleaning both contact faces with a dry Q-tip.
My 8060 has been all over the US and Canada with me.

Paul - If you can find a good one on ebay score an old Fluke 8050A.
The display is usually what fails on those.
I've seen some really cool retrofits I might try on my 4th unit which needs one.

The Fluke 8050A one of the best bench "multimeters" for audio AC measurements since the true RMS section has some decent bandwidth and dynamic range.
For dB measurements they're accurate as hell.
The relative everything function and conductance are nice features too.
I have three plus a parts unit.
IMHO the AC-powered units are the best since the battery-option ones do require semi-working internal NiCds to operate.