How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: How Can We Piss Off Our Customers Today? A P&G Case Study

Post by JR. »

I often end up defending music industry companies for decisions that were pretty much forced on them by customers (like making gear in China). Many consumer companies today are deathly afraid of offending the twitter-verse, so act according to the new PC police. Formerly powerless consumers now have a voice on twitter, and in the #metoo age can spread shame and disapproval even when undeserved.

P&G is a consumer products "packaging" company where they sell commodity products for a juicy profit justified by value added with their marketing/advertising created demand.

The razor blade scam (we'll just add another blade) finally collapsed under its own self parody.

Apparently kids today are smarter shoppers and social media nerds, so P&G is likely trying to pull a "nike". Nike sales are up since running a controversial ad supporting Colin Kaepernick (that pundits thought was a mistake). P&G is just trying to get on the #metoo bus like Nike did with Keapernick. It may not work, but it is getting noticed and repeated for better or worse. I don't much care. Selling commodities like a fashion business seems increasingly difficult, and P&Gs results are showing that.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Gillette Weenus® Brand Razors

Post by mediatechnology »

I think I may have figured out Gillette's game plan. The answer lies in this screen capture.

I had to look very carefully to see if this is a man or a woman.

Since I'm not in California, where getting it wrong brings civil and criminal penalties I'm going to call go out on a limb and call "it" "he."

Other than the sideburns has "he" ever shaved?

I'll answer that question in a moment...

Gillette according to one source I read has had its market share drop from 80% to 50%.

Let's assume that's reasonably factual and you're them looking at a 30% market loss.
You want it back but you realize that your previous customers, who have left for Harry's and Dollar Shave Club, may not ever come back.
So you need a new market to make up for that 30%.

Gillette has a number of female-specific brands such as Venus branded razors.

They know, as well as any man living with a female, that woman go through razors faster than men.
Two, three, four times faster.
There's just more surface area to cover.

The women's market may be saturated and Gillette may still own it.
It may not be growable however and many feminists are not shaving because being a hairy feminist girl with a pink vagina hat is trendy.
(I could cite the article but the hairy armpit photo was gross.)

Men - hairy men - are the problem.

They don't buy your over-priced inferior product anymore.
The hairy alpha males' hot women (hotter because they shave) are the problem too.
Women have discovered Harry's.

Enter the metrosexual feminized "he-she."

They shave everywhere...

To appeal to them you have to appeal to their feminist controllers and them by taking on the alpha male.

The "he-she" who shaves everywhere is far more valuable as a customer to Gillette than the remaining alpha males not buying Harry's.

So you roll the dice with this ad.

If, for example, if you pickup one metrosexual "he-she" for every alpha male you piss off then you're selling 3-4 times more razors because your customers are now shaving their balls. Duh...

Simple. I should've seen it sooner.

I've got the perfect brand extension in the Venus line for metrosexual males: Weenus® Brand razors.

What Gillette didn't factor in was the collateral damage to the rest of the P&G product portfolio.

The Meyers lavender soap left me squeaky clean compared to the Ivory. I'll keep the Ivory for when SHTF and trade a bar for a live chicken.

Sam Walton was a boycotter.

The Walmart site that I referred to earlier in Duncanville is only a few hundred feet from the Dallas city line.
Sam refused to build stores in Dallas for decades because he knew, like the rest of us, that Dallas is untrustworthy as a business partner.
It was only after he died that they began to construct stores in Dallas.

People have taken the Tide Pods challenge.

I'm preparing for the next big thing to appear in the news.
We've all heard of the Tide Pods challenge.
To signal their virtue and apathy for blind people we've had a woman blind herself.
Some dude set himself on fire in New York and the Times cheered.

We're in La-La Land.

So why not the Gillette challenge?

Who is going to be the fool that sheds his "toxic masculinity" and signal his virtue by cutting off his balls with a Gillette razor?
It won't be long, trust me.
If I were Bruce Jenner's manager I'd be making that call to the Grey Agency right now.

You heard it here first...
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I see a fault in this logic. The women who don't like hairy men send them for a back, sack and crack wax. I don't get it, but hey ho consenting adults and all that :)

My wife is Indian so I am considerably LESS hairy than her original marriage expectations. Win Win.

Fun fact: Guerneville CA where my late sister lived still holds 'bear week' each summer!

I think my annual razor spend is £12. Not sure anyone can beat that and not worth me looking.
mediatechnology

billshurv wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am I see a fault in this logic. The women who don't like hairy men send them for a back, sack and crack wax.
Isn't that expensive?

I used to have a lifeguard that I knew who shaved and waxed and he did it for a competitive swimming advantage.
I'd never thought about it but even a little bit of arm hair introduces quite bit of drag. (At least that's what he said. LOL)

I used to change blades weekly. $156/yr for Gillette Mach 3
Then every 2 weeks. $78/yr for Gillette Mach 3
About 3 weeks now. $35/yr for Harry's.

If I go "mountain man" and miss a couple if days (usually because I'm in the woods living the part) then I go through blades fast after that first shave.

At £12/yr you're doing pretty good.
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am I see a fault in this logic. The women who don't like hairy men send them for a back, sack and crack wax. I don't get it, but hey ho consenting adults and all that :)

My wife is Indian so I am considerably LESS hairy than her original marriage expectations. Win Win.

Fun fact: Guerneville CA where my late sister lived still holds 'bear week' each summer!

I think my annual razor spend is £12. Not sure anyone can beat that and not worth me looking.
I have been using an electric razor for years and it is more than adequate (I'm cheap). I used to shave with a blade after running 5 miles and sweaty... I can't run anymore and 5 miles on the bike does not prep me for a proper blade shave. :lol:

@Wayne... I just returned from shopping and coincidentally I needed hand soap. I couldn't even find that fru fru lavender scented soap at Walmart, there were other scented soaps but they were too pricey for me. I bought plain old dial soap, as I have for decades. (I just looked it up and it appears to not be sold by P&G, but I don't really care.)

The whole strategy to use advertising to influence routine shopping decisions is because we rarely engage our rational brain when making such decisions.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Real men used to use coal tar soap, until coal tar was banned :( sob.

Waxing is expensive but there is a generation who consider this to be a worthwhile expenditure. It takes all sorts.
mediatechnology

You can get coal tar shampoo here in the US in the Nutragena brand.

I can't handle the oil smell from an electric.
The smell of oil doesn't bother me but razor oil doesn't seem to wash off.
I had a plumbing repair that required threading a short piece of pipe.
It took months for the oil taste and smell to fully clear.
Don’t be fooled by the “toxic” qualifier – all masculinity is toxic to these human weebles. What they call “toxic” is really the essence of freedom. It’s toxic all right, but to their goals, not ours. Masculinity means freedom from them and the puffy, non-binary utopia they dreamed up because that’s the only world in which such losers could be anything more than a sorry punchline.
"'Buy Guns, Drink Beer, Eat Ribs' - We Need To Retoxify Masculinity" https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... asculinity

After my lavender soap shower I decided to retoxify by clearing some brush down in the woods.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 pm You can get coal tar shampoo here in the US in the Nutragena brand.

I can't handle the oil smell from an electric.
The smell of oil doesn't bother me but razor oil doesn't seem to wash off.
I had a plumbing repair that required threading a short piece of pipe.
It took months for the oil taste and smell to fully clear.
Don’t be fooled by the “toxic” qualifier – all masculinity is toxic to these human weebles. What they call “toxic” is really the essence of freedom. It’s toxic all right, but to their goals, not ours. Masculinity means freedom from them and the puffy, non-binary utopia they dreamed up because that’s the only world in which such losers could be anything more than a sorry punchline.
"'Buy Guns, Drink Beer, Eat Ribs' - We Need To Retoxify Masculinity" https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... asculinity

After my lavender soap shower I decided to retoxify by clearing some brush down in the woods.
I still have some trench work if interested... :lol:

JR
mediatechnology

Egard Watch Company Responds To Gillette: What Is A Man?

Egard Watch Company

Our video response to Gillette.
It's time for society to start celebrating each other. Not tearing each other down.
https://twitter.com/EgardWatchCo/status ... 7860017152
https://youtu.be/x_HL0wiK4Zc

mediatechnology

Progress On Toxic Masculinity Turns Woman's Boyfriend Into "Weepy Little Pansy"

This just keeps getting better:

Progress On Toxic Masculinity Turns Woman's Boyfriend Into "Weepy Little Pansy"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... ttle-pansy
APPLETON, WI - Expressing disbelief at her romantic partner’s dramatic behavioral shift, local woman Emily Kittleson, 30, told reporters Friday that she had not expected her boyfriend’s attempts to recognize and curtail toxic masculinity would eventually turn him into a “weepy little pansy.” “Christ, I know the dope is trying to be conscious of the effects of his words and actions and to be more open and honest with his emotions, but there’s got to be a limit,” said Kittleson of her boyfriend Shane Magnusen, 31, whose efforts to reject toxic masculinity have begun to irritate her as she claims he has evolved into “a fragile fucking flower about everything” in recent weeks. “Of course I’m happy for social progress and all, but this ineffectual shit is not what I signed up for. Instead of suppressing his emotions about major issues in his life, he cries at sad commercials. Our fights used to be him screaming at me for a few minutes and that was it, not great but not terrible. Then last night we get into an argument that somehow turns into me nodding and making comforting noises while he talks about his strained relationship with his dad until well after midnight. Like, come on, I don’t have time to indulge this self-centered crap.”
I wonder if he uses lavender soap. It's very soothing. :lol: