Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Re: Entropy

Post by Gold »

I drive a minivan so gas powered tools are banned from inside the cabin. I also like having a sword close by for any other types of emergencies.
JR.

Post by JR. »

back on the entropy train... my second replacement door bell button arrived, my front door needed one too... This repair started out pretty promising since the door bell lights up if the wires have power. But I noticed that it was intermittent with changing wire dress. I took the screen door frame apart to see if I could trace the wiring back a little deeper and after getting it apart one of the solid doorbell wires broke completely revealing the actual flaw... Now fixed and door frame reassembled.

My house is now fully halloween compliant. 8-)

JR

PS: speaking of swords, back in the military we used to joke that if you have to use your bayonet, it means you screwed up and ran out of ammo. :lol: I had a punk pull a knife on me, in the alley behind my apartment in Boston back in the 60s. I was almost too stoned to notice and it was only a dull pocket knife so it didn't even pierce my sweat shirt, but i finally figured out what was poking me, and beat a retreat into the building next door... My roommate (that I went out to save) wasn't as lucky and got a little beat up, but he was already gone by the time I arrived on the scene to rescue him, so my brisk retreat was appropriate. I guess I should be glad that the punk didn't have a "Silky Saw Sugowaza". They might not let you carry that in London, where knife killings are increasing.
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Ah, A curved pruning saw. Now I understand. I've had the daw answered by a 5'2" woman with one of those in her utility belt before. Glad she knew who I was.

@JR: Your story just reminds me of an episode of 'Malcolm in the midde' for some reason, but suspect I'm hanging around with people with kids the wrong age to even know that show !
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 pm
@JR: Your story just reminds me of an episode of 'Malcolm in the midde' for some reason, but suspect I'm hanging around with people with kids the wrong age to even know that show !
I liked that show (good writing and OK talent) but have no idea what triggered that recollection. The bayonet? The door bell? Halloween? My roommate getting beat up?

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

The Bayonet reminded me (not sure why) of one episode where Reese was preparing to go on manoeuvres with the recruits and they were discussing how much kit they were taking and they were trying to outdo each other with how little kit they were taking. Then one guy walks in start naked with a knife in his teeth. Funny how the mind recalls odd things off trigger words :)
JR.

Post by JR. »

Thinking about my now restored doorbell function I am impressed with the robust design.

How many modern internet enabled doorbells are expected to still work several decades later. This is reminiscent of old school original telephone set design.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Fitted the shower at the weekend and wished i had just bought the new parts for the old one. The batsrads have kept the name and changed all the internal parts. So the water inlet is higher up the body and needs a different connection. Which means it needs a longer power feed. Or a strategic hole drilled in the casing! Were it my house I guess I would have headed off for an extra bit of pipe, but its not. So it looks a bit low on the wall now and probably isn't to code, but I could have a proper shower last night.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Like the 2n3055 transistor, still made and called 3055 because that part number was so popular but new ones barely resemble the old one. New are better, but different.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Finally got around to ordering a new throttle cable for the mower. In the end was a 10 minute job. Only been waiting 9 years to fix that...
JR.

Post by JR. »

entropy is reversible.... good job.

JR