Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
billshurv

Re: Entropy

Post by billshurv »

Lawn mowed but a bit of a stutter from the engine when warmed up. Can't decide if missfire or the governer needing a tweak. I might splash £2 on the correct spark plug as I'm using a high temp plug I had lying around...

But it mows a lot better than before so I am happy.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I just encountered a tank of bad gas, or water from condensation (I live in MS).

Check the quality of the fuel.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Same jerry can full all season, so shouldn't be that. I'm on a roll so will clean the carb next.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 pm I just encountered a tank of bad gas, or water from condensation (I live in MS).

JR
Thanks for reminding me that I need to drain the fuel out of the chainsaw.
Stabilized but getting old.

@Bill Is your petrol full of Ethanol? Or is that just a US corn subsidy thing...
Our fuel, unstabilized, will go bad fast and eat through rubber.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Up to 5% in regular gas and none in the super. E85 is not available here except by special order and £18 a gallon.

But this is the first year I haven't used fuel stabiliser...
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 am
JR. wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 pm I just encountered a tank of bad gas, or water from condensation (I live in MS).

JR
Thanks for reminding me that I need to drain the fuel out of the chainsaw.
Stabilized but getting old.

@Bill Is your petrol full of Ethanol? Or is that just a US corn subsidy thing...
Our fuel, unstabilized, will go bad fast and eat through rubber.
My bad fuel in the car was unexpected because I had just repaired a chronic problem with faulty thermostat sending bad temp data to the ECU... I was suspicious that the old problem was still lingering, but after a fresh tank of gas, the car suddenly ran night and day better, pointing to the bad gas.

I do not drive much, around 15 miles a week, so a tank of gas lasts me a while. We also have high humidity so not unheard of to get condensation in the gas tank. Ironically perhaps the fix for water in the gas tank is (methyl/isopropyl) alcohol that apparently binds to the water to move it along. I probably need to top off my gas tank more often so there is less air inside to deliver humidity. There is a ton of dew on my grass in the morning so not that surprising.

Isn't ethanol friggin alcohol?

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

that's a point, I have a bottle of Heet somewhere in the shed from 20 years ago. They used to recommend you chuck it in the gas tank for chicago winters. Not convinced it ever did anything.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I'll find out Thursday whether the fuel stabilizer in the generator for the well pump worked. It hasn't been touched since November 2018. I know I'll need to clean the spark plug gap. Hopefully that will be it for emergency entropy. Hopefully there won't be too much more entropy on this trip.

My main goal is to bushwhack up and over the hill on state land across the way and make it to the beaver pond below. That and do some swimming in a friends stream. I'm about an hour away from putting in the rest of the supports under the tent platform I built. That's been a few years in the making. It will be nice to be able to use that platform.
Gold

Post by Gold »

I tried to charge the solar batteries today to bring to the mountains. They wouldn't charge. After doing a bit of searching I think I have only myself to blame. I let them sit depleted for nine months. It seems a 70% charge is best for long term storage and preserving battery life. It's going to be a $400 lesson. I hope the batteries that are there are good after nine months. I think they had 50%$-70% when I left. Fingers crossed.
JR.

Post by JR. »

did you search this..? there might be some way to resurrect a sick/dead battery... I found a few but don't know what battery technology you are dealing with.

JR

PS: From watching too many cowboy movies as a kid, bushwhacking, meant to ambush somebody.