Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: another precision tree drop

Post by JR. »

IMG_20200426_171052582.jpg
I dropped the left half of a split trunk junk tree.... You can see a section of 8" trunk on the ground too heavy to lift into my wheelbarrow late in the day. I left the come along attached to the other side, coming down next. I am sore this morning but a good sore. :lol: It took less than 10 minutes to drop the tree, 3+ hours to trim branches and cut up.
IMG_20200426_171015973.jpg
For perspective you can see the cluster of junk trees in the back ground. The top of that tree reached all the way to my burn pile.

I don't plan to drop the healthy straight trees, but the curved, ugly junk trees are in my sights for felling.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by mediatechnology »

Nice job!
JR.

Re: Gentle precision over time

Post by JR. »

I just got my burn pile re-lit... rebuilt it with small wood on the bottom. It will probably be burning for a couple days if it doesn't rain.

Time for part deux, the other half of that dual trunk (junk) tree is calling.

Mondays I usually work inside but apparently the drummers, already cheap, are buying even less now, so I don't need to build tuners. :lol:

JR
JR.

Re: Gentle precision

Post by JR. »

IMG_20200427_165832708.jpg
Both down, and all the small wood is on the fire and gone, I will burn the rest of the big wood tomorrow, the fire will still be going.

This is getting easier to cut, but no picnic to clean up.

So far "good sore" in the morning.

JR

PS: I need to give my Stihl saw an attaboy... made lots of sawdust last couple days.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Mondays I usually work inside but apparently the drummers, already cheap, are buying even less now, so I don't need to build tuners. :lol:
Don't half-ass fell your trees. Visit "gentle persuasion over time" to see how properly "felled" trees look. :lol:
JR.

Re: Gentle precision

Post by JR. »

I re-stacked my burn pile, the logs had burned down and apart over night. Social distancing doesn't work for burning big wood. I put the still smoldering logs back together and the fire is roaring again. 8-)

I need to take a break but I am eyeing two seriously ugly trees. It is a little easier with the fire already going strong...

No hurry

JR

PS: check out my maters, and peppers, and squash plants... all grown from seed in my greenhouse.
IMG_20200426_172615838.jpg
Pretty soon I need to start weeding but I can't tell if some seedlings are vegetables or weeds, or even trees... stuff grows here in wet dirt.
JR.

Post by JR. »

The tree on the left is screaming out to me "take me now".....
IMG_20200428_111518076.jpg
It will be easier with the burn pile already rocking. I wouldn't mind pruning out 4 of the 5 trees in that cluster. but not today.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Tree tres turfed.
IMG_20200428_164920674.jpg
Another precision drop... This was not completely without drama, it hung up on nearby tree branches so didn't completely fall at first. I moved the come along attachment point to a different tree and it came down nicely.

More work than I expected, but I really like how much better it looks with the curved POS tree gone,,, now I want to take out more, but three trees in three days is starting to have an effect on this tired old man. :lol:

Pretty soon I may need to rent a stump grinder. I wonder if my tree guy gives volume discounts?

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

It rained overnight, and light drizzle now but I re-stacked my burn pile so we'll see if it comes back to life.

Radar shows heavy rain south of me...I should probably take a few days off.

JR

[update] I got the candle lit on my burn pile and have the remaining big wood on it and burning now... cold, wet, and windy so I won't make more sawdust today. /update]
JR.

two trees twoday

Post by JR. »

before
IMG_20200430_130322000.jpg
after
IMG_20200430_171209020.jpg
Small trees were bigger than I thought... chainsaw reminded me by running out of fuel.

Burn pile was out, so tomorrow I will try to light this candle. Lots O wood

JR