THAT1570/5171 DIP Adapter

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
JR.

Re: THAT1570/5171 DIP Adapter

Post by JR. »

promixe wrote:
JR. wrote:PS: I have a passing interest in cybernetic control of analog audio circuits. Not unlike this project. I have (too many) ideas for computer controlled comp/limiter, and other projects associated with simple level and pans... I would love some advice about how to get the last mile between the users mouse clicks and a serial digital data stream I can decode for specific analog controls. I am guessing something like midi outputs, a variant of serial com that can be decoded (for simple level and pan). The uber comp may need some more sophisticated control layers (custom sliders?).

This is not an immediate project for me, so no hurry, but i would love to hear advice from you, who are already doing something similar. My brain is already crushed by too many secret handshakes so I don't want to have to design PC interfaces, or PC software too.
I thought about this a lot and what's most appealing to me personally is going the WEB route. Pretty much every computer device on the market (including phones, etc.) has a browser built in. These browsers are optimized for HTML5/Java speed and are very stable. It's a lot easier to code an interactive web page that IMMEDIATELY works on every platform/CPU/device rather then coding a cross-platform application code, maintaining it is another story. You use a auto discovery protocol, something like Bonjour to automatically assign your audio device a domain name, you go to 1.jrdevice.com and there is your control interface for it. There is no serial-to-USB or serial-to-Ethernet adapter you need to plug in, in fact, you can plug the audio device into any router or even control it being in a different country, while listening to the changes through ISDN stream. =) On the audio device side you run a tiny embedded web server with your web pages loaded in and the server translates what it gets from the client into SPI. Hardware-wise you'd need something like PIC32 or AVR32 chip with Ethernet-MAC built in + a separate Ethernet PHY chip.

SSL is doing it like that with their consoles, primarily for preset/recall management, configuration, etc.
Yup that sounds sweet,,, and I have looked a little into the PIC devices with the support firmware to talk to computer networks. But this is a step up in complexity for me.
This may seem too complex of an idea, but the most work would be on the audio device side, while on the user side there wouldn't be much to do because you would just use existing technologies (TCP/IP, browser, HTML5/AJAX). Now, if you needed absolute precision or sample-accurate control of your device then this idea wouldn't work as there is a typical 3-6ms delay between push of a button on the screen and SPI message out of the chip (given typical home LAN latency). Again, this is what seems ideal to me personally, because it looks daunting to code an application for OSX, getting it to work right, then doing a Windows version (even if reusing half the code, which then would compromise Mac's Objective-C workflow), then Linux, iPad crowds get left in the cold, then next version of Windows comes out and here I am redoing the app because some API I relied on is now discontinued. =) Then there is extra hardware on the client side that needs to deal with RS-232/RS-485 (something like a USB adapter, that you forget at home when rushing to an important remote recording gig). =) Don't discount the benefit of wireless when going TCP/WEB route. I was playing a concert a few months ago, the sound guy was walking around the venue with an iPad adjusting everything on the fly with his Yamaha setup.
Yes this sounds attractive to me... It rather elegantly leap frogs the PC/MAC?driver issue, just go straight to hosting a virtual web page.

I can justify a business rational for pursuing this, for my day job (drum tuners). At some future generation I need to talk to and be controlled by IPHONEs or whatever, if they still make those when I get around to this.

I am a little apprehensive about the current drain of full wireless (for my tuner) but I can probably recharge batteries through a USB port. I put a USB port on my first generation platform but never got around to making it do anything.
An RTAS/VST/AU plugin could be coded that would run inside of a DAW and maintain TCP/IP stream into your device. Now we're talking about full automation and recall of your analog gear within your Pro Tools session file - a dream for mixing / recording engineers.
I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I need to get on top of this TCP/IP stuff.. Hopefully if i drag my feet long enough there will be a canned solution (that I can afford to use).
====
I have some ideas for an simple digitally controlled analog mixer that could A) be both controllable from protools or whatever, and B) cleaner than SOTA analog mixers. This seems like more of a science fair project than real product but people pay silly amounts of money for dangerous boxes, why not take that up another notch? Likewise I have some ideas for the comp/limiter from hell, but need a soft interface to manage all the control possibilities (too many knobs and switches for a hardware version). But these are not day light projects , more after two beers "what if", mental masturbation, but could fall out of learning how to talk to PDAs and puters, which is arguably a valid need for my day time work.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
promixe

Post by promixe »

There are open source platforms for making this happen. Ethernut, for instance, with reference hardware designs and documented source code. There are a few others, so one wouldn't have to start from scratch.

As far as USB is concerned, you could use one of the FTDI's FT-series chips. The best part about them is they provide drivers for most major platforms. Then it's a matter a coding an app that talks to either a DLL (for direct USB driver) or a Virtual COM Port, which saves a lot of development time. I have a Atmel XMEGA dev board with FT232R on it and can talk to it via USB with literally less then 100 lines of code written. That's a quicker solution to develop.

As far as your tuners and iPhone, I think the quickest solution there would be to use Apple's 30-pin connector on which pins 12 and 13 are UART, so your entire interface could reside in the iPhone and the sensors/essential logic could be a (smaller) external box. The only downside is that Apple doesn't allow you to use UART libraries in iOS unless you purchase certification from them that your product is 30-pin connector friendly. That's a lot of BS, but last time I checked it was still that way. Still, that doesn't prevent you from developing an app (by jailbreaking the iphone to develop on), but you would still need the MFI thing to be able to distribute your app through the AppStore.

I still think that the TCP/IP & HTTP solution effectively bypasses every "proprietary licensing" issue and is automatically truly cross-platform. I am going to do RS-485 control of my preamps just to get it going, but the goal is to achieve what I described in my previous post.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Thanks for the heads up...

I don't care for apple so am speaking of apple like PDA..

The TCP/IP HTTP play seems a better target.

But not tonight.

JR
juniorhifikit

Post by juniorhifikit »

JR. wrote: I have some ideas for an simple digitally controlled analog mixer that could A) be both controllable from protools or whatever, and B) cleaner than SOTA analog mixers. This seems like more of a science fair project than real product but people pay silly amounts of money for dangerous boxes, why not take that up another notch?
JR
You may recall all of my noob' questions last year pertaining to this idea. In my spare time I went ahead and designed something, and then had a colleague (ex-Digidesign engineer) write the code for the DAW control. I built a prototype, and am now taking it around to studios for test drives. I did use the 1570 in the summing amp with a LOT of help from Wayne, bit I don't want to hijack this thread. If anyone's interested, I can start another thread.

I have immeasurable amounts of gratitude for all of your help - I've really learned a lot.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I haven't published the specific ideas I have for a uber clean mix bus, but it is a variant of my old ideas crossed with new technology. This is mostly a science fair project since adding a few zeros to linearity or noise floor is not going to be significantly audible.

The comp/limter with dozens of controls is in the sweet spot for digital control,,, it does remain questionable whether this needs or even remotely benefits from an analog back end.

Back to the original program... sorry about the veer...

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

You may recall all of my noob' questions last year pertaining to this idea. In my spare time I went ahead and designed something, and then had a colleague (ex-Digidesign engineer) write the code for the DAW control. I built a prototype, and am now taking it around to studios for test drives. I did use the 1570 in the summing amp with a LOT of help from Wayne, bit I don't want to hijack this thread. If anyone's interested, I can start another thread.
I'd love to see how the mix amp and how the overall project turned out. Glad you were able to get it going. I was afraid I had orphaned you in that effort while I got construction of the house finished. Please do start that thread and share what you can.

And in this 1570 thread I owe promixe and the rest of you some measurements and an idea that I prototyped using this 1570/5171 board for a Universal Mic/Line input.
promixe

Post by promixe »

Hi guys,

Just a quick update: I soldered both circuits (#1 and #2 transformer switching from previous page) and tried them out. Here they are again for easier reference:

AND

Circuit #2 doesn't work well because when I connect a real mic to the input and turn phantom ON the mic starts using the juice and lowers 48V to about 35V (with this particular mic, of course). When I switch the "transformer path" IN - everything is good except that C5 & C6 charge back up to full 48V and when switched back into "transformerless path" I see large DC offset at the preamp input (with any gain setting this results in a huge "pop") and it takes a bit for the servos to take care of it.

Circuit #1 is a lot better in this particular scenario, as C5 & C6 always see the source and charge/discharge according to the mic's needs. Clicking while switching between the paths is tolerable (that said, I'm always looking for suggestions to minimize them as much as possible). However, there is a strange behavior, and I haven't quite investigated this in depth yet, when turning the transformer IN FIRST and THEN engaging phantom. Half the time I just loose the preamp control, i.e. there might be a spike of some sort that resets its address or just freezes the 5171 chip. I have to turn VDD off and then back on to make it behave normally again.

All of the above was tested without POL and PAD components populated/engaged.
JR.

Post by JR. »

promixe wrote:Hi guys,

Just a quick update: I soldered both circuits (#1 and #2 transformer switching from previous page) and tried them out. Here they are again for easier reference:

AND

Circuit #2 doesn't work well because when I connect a real mic to the input and turn phantom ON the mic starts using the juice and lowers 48V to about 35V (with this particular mic, of course). When I switch the "transformer path" IN - everything is good except that C5 & C6 charge back up to full 48V and when switched back into "transformerless path" I see large DC offset at the preamp input (with any gain setting this results in a huge "pop") and it takes a bit for the servos to take care of it.
I'm not sure what you are saying is wrong.. The phantom voltage at the mic will drop below 48V in normal use (mic current x 6.8k) so 35V could be normal. By real mic I assume you mean a phantom powered mic.
Circuit #1 is a lot better in this particular scenario, as C5 & C6 always see the source and charge/discharge according to the mic's needs.
C5 & C6 always connected is not arguably a good thing, while in this case the loading is not huge...
Clicking while switching between the paths is tolerable (that said, I'm always looking for suggestions to minimize them as much as possible).
you could move the phantom resistors over to the XLR in fig 2 also, while it is not usual to leave unused inputs floating, Over time the caps will discharge to 0v due to internal leakage.
However, there is a strange behavior, and I haven't quite investigated this in depth yet, when turning the transformer IN FIRST and THEN engaging phantom. Half the time I just loose the preamp control, i.e. there might be a spike of some sort that resets its address or just freezes the 5171 chip. I have to turn VDD off and then back on to make it behave normally again.

All of the above was tested without POL and PAD components populated/engaged.
It appears the transformer secondary to switch wiring is wrong on both figures.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I'm not sure what you are saying is wrong.. The phantom voltage at the mic will drop below 48V in normal use (mic current x 6.8k) so 35V could be normal. By real mic I assume you mean a phantom powered mic.
Correct.

What he's saying though is that the de-selected "active" input re-charges the caps to 48V through their phantom pull-ups. With the mic pulling current in transformer mode, 35V is about what I'd expect. When he switches from transformer back to "active," there's a momentary transient that's huge because the caps are pre-charged to 48V.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gotcha... that could damage mics and phantom powered external gear expecting the 6.8k

Definitely not good...

JR