Weather Channel Gaslighting

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
emrr

Re: Weather Channel Gaslighting Courtesy of IBM

Post by emrr »

We were on the border of serious flooding from rainfall. Really very little wind here, actually had the most Friday. Far less rain than predicted, hit hardest Sunday night for a few hours. Could have been a lot worse had it come straight for us as initially called. Lots of water rescues and evacuations just 15-20 miles towards the center on Sunday. Had a friend 30 miles away have 3 feet of water in the yard during the rain, almost got in the house....which was illegally built over a culvert. Another friend and also an aunt live between I-95 and the coast right off of I-40, they had roughly 20" in 2 days, but it's fairly high land where they are and subsided pretty quickly. They can't get in or out though, and no grocery re-stock was coming in yet last I heard. Lots of roads (google maps with traffic turned on) have pretty long closure times listed, and you probably saw the images of the I-40 corridor looking instead like a river. It is FLAT there, so that water goes on and on and on under the trees. I've worked a place at that same exit that has to be underwater at this time, I don't know how it couldn't be.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I'm glad that you're high and dry. Apparently you have power too.

I went to the local paper website a few days ago and couldn't get a feel for the areas that weren't flooded.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Glad you're okay Doug.
emrr

Post by emrr »

Thanks. I have the same hard time too....there are almost no local journalists anywhere anymore. I guess we're supposed to sort all out from twitter feeds.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
mediatechnology

That's why when I saw the original story I had to point it out.

The media's "theater" at a time when actionable information is needed puts the burden back on us.
Ham radio emergency networks and FRS radios are beginning to look better and better. (https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-div ... ervice-frs)
The local Aldi grocery store had an FRS rig on sale dirt-cheap.
When wireless sites are flooded out FRS makes sense.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 am That's why when I saw the original story I had to point it out.

The media's "theater" at a time when actionable information is needed puts the burden back on us.
Ham radio emergency networks and FRS radios are beginning to look better and better. (https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-div ... ervice-frs)
The local Aldi grocery store had an FRS rig on sale dirt-cheap.
When wireless sites are flooded out FRS makes sense.
Media is hyperbolic but pretty good about painting a worst case warning in advance of slow moving storms. The main risk is from their overstatement in that it leads viewers to ignore or discount future reports.

Social media actually works to allow relatives to communicate that they are OK (after power and services are restored)... I have heard from a few in the storm path already.

I was not close enough to my cousin in Lumberton to be friends on Facebook, so I will be patient. I am closer to his sister (now in LA) so will learn from her if something bad happened.

I like the idea of Google maps adding an outline presumably of flooded areas. The bad news is I don't know how to find the old homestead from the air. The street address I have from decades old snail mail, apparently doesn't exist today... Route 6 appears to be located in a different NC city now. :oops:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Social media actually works to allow relatives to communicate that they are OK (after power and services are restored)... I have heard from a few in the storm path already.
Glad people are starting to check in.

In order to expedite re-connection what about deploying tethered blimp cell sites in a mesh network for emergency communication for the network side? Would seem like a good way to get stuff up fast without having to drain sites, restore power and rebuild towers. Tether them from a boat with an on-board power plant or on dry land tethered to a generator.

A useful gizmo on the "client" smartphone side would be a C-cell, D-cell lantern battery to USB box to run your phone. 6-24V input to USB "type A" plus an adapter cable would be very handy to have in one's bug-out bag. I've never looked for it probably already available at Amazon.

A cigarette lighter adapter isn't too useful if your car has washed away.

Just thinkin' out loud.
I like the idea of Google maps adding an outline presumably of flooded areas.
Considering Google wants at least half of us dead, and are quite proud of the fact, I'm not sure I'd trust them. And they already know which ones of us they want dead. :o They sent Anderson Cooper to the lowest part of the rain ditch and they like him. They'd send me straight to hell.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:34 pm
Considering Google wants at least half of us dead, and are quite proud of the fact, I'm not sure I'd trust them. And they already know which ones of us they want dead. :o They sent Anderson Cooper to the lowest part of the rain ditch and they like him. They'd send me straight to hell.
I hope google doesn't want me dead but it was disturbing to hear about them considering tweaking their search algos to alter government policy. Perhaps typical thinking for silicon valley snowflakes.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

I'm pretty sure that you won't see James Damore getting in a Google self-driving car anytime soon.

http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf ... 321529.pdf
mediatechnology

Re: Weather Channel Gaslighting

The actors at the Weather Channel are up to it again...
A man wandered into a live shot and unwittingly foiled a Weather Channel reporter’s attempt at exaggerating gale-force winds from Hurricane Zeta.

In the dramatic live shot, the correspondent reporting from New Orleans amid the hurricane eyewall making impact is seen struggling to stand up, leaning into wind gusts as a palm tree violently sways behind him.

The reporter’s act is abruptly ended when a man casually walks into frame from off-camera and tries to talk to the reporter, who at this point drops all pretenses of a struggle.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/man-expo ... live-shot/
Video: https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 4830798850