too cheap to fix?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
Gold

Re: too cheap to fix?

Post by Gold »

I like fishing line to fix that kind of stuff. A tight sewing machine stitch usually isn’t practical. Fishing line is very durable even with only a few stitches.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I already have some heavy duty thread I bought when I sewed a new zipper into my old winter jacket. This glove repair is on my to-do list, but pretty low on that list. Since I bought two pair last time I still have one serviceable pair.
====
I'm backordered tuners so was doing smd rework this morning... I have to swap around two tiny LEDs (wrong colors in wrong place). After over 200 boards reworked during the last few years, I'm getting pretty good at this. :lol:

I could have shipped the entire batch back to the CM to fix (his mistake), but this works, not heavy lifting in small batches. 8-) Nice that it was relatively cool this morning. I dislike doing hot-air rework in summer heat, but my new ductless airco/heat pump didn't notice.

JR

PS: Forget about it ever raining in MS again... I got my new gutters installed monday and it has been sunny ever since. Maybe if I wax my car again... last time I did that it rained. :lol: Now I need to remount my flagpole somewhere else, and put up my house numbers again (also on that growing longer to-do list.)
DSCF0166.JPG
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I think the rain moved to England. I'm in Chianti this week, but apparantly some parts of uk had 100mm (4") in under 24 hours. Normal rainfall for whole month is under 80mm. Chaos has ensued. Here its high 80s and dry :)
terkio

Post by terkio »

billshurv wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46 pm
Gold wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:53 pm
pigskin goatskin, deerskin and sheepskin. I like goat as it’s very soft. It’s good for tactile feedback but not super durable. Deerskin seems to be the most durable. Pigskin works best in wet weather.
Moose skin is exceeding durable, but apparantly a biatch to tan. I have a mooseskin wallet (from Finland, where else!)
pigskin goatskin, deerskin, sheepskin and mooseskin.
I know of people who have hedgehog skin wallets.
Very slow draws when it comes there is something to pay. :lol:
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm I think the rain moved to England. I'm in Chianti this week, but apparantly some parts of uk had 100mm (4") in under 24 hours. Normal rainfall for whole month is under 80mm. Chaos has ensued. Here its high 80s and dry :)
4" is significant depending on how fast and how dry you were before... I've seen 4" in several hours, and it almost topped out my 3' culvert.

My rain ditches are dry again, which is not normal lately. :lol:

I figured out that the small fish in my rain ditch are called minnows.

I got my flagpole back up... still have to replace my house number. I am not happy with the flagpole mount but it works for now.

JR
DSCF0167.JPG
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

It had been a dry few weeks and enough to cause this. I've seen worse. I worked in Newbury when we had some biblical rain and my client's HQ building was cut off. Then the water filled up the space between the platforms at the railway station.

In UK we moan about the weather a lot mainly because we aren't setup to deal with any extremes of hot, cold, dry or wet. :D
Attachments
rail_water.jpg
rail_water.jpg (11.61 KiB) Viewed 22732 times
JR.

Post by JR. »

The Mississippi river has a lot of water in it this year testing levees in middle America and local flooding already hurting farmers prenting them from planting their crops.

====

Replaced my house numbers with slightly larger... but they did not have all the numbers I needed in black, so i bought reflective numbers. The reflective numbers may show up better at night, in the daytime against my off-white painted back ground the numbers do not pop.

JR
[edit] I just sewed up the torn seam in my faulty glove so we'll see how long that lasts. [/edit]
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I've seen the Mississipi. Reminded me of kipling and the 'grey green greasy limpopo' :). It's somewhat wider than we have to deal with in UK other than estuaries, but all our rivers are fairly weedy compared to even Europe let alone the rest of the world. Hence why we are just not set up for it.
Oh and we built our captial city on a swamp!
JR.

Post by JR. »

billshurv wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 pm I've seen the Mississipi. Reminded me of kipling and the 'grey green greasy limpopo' :). It's somewhat wider than we have to deal with in UK other than estuaries, but all our rivers are fairly weedy compared to even Europe let alone the rest of the world. Hence why we are just not set up for it.
Oh and we built our captial city on a swamp!
Yup, London was nasty back in the day... a festering swamp... people drank beer because water wasn't safe. :lol:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Gold wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am I like fishing line to fix that kind of stuff. A tight sewing machine stitch usually isn’t practical. Fishing line is very durable even with only a few stitches.
The heavy thread seems adequate... probably as strong or stronger than the rest of the seams. It was nice to have two pair of gloves in rotation so I could swap them out as one got wet and sweaty (lots of yard work this weekend).

The canvas glove material seems softer/weaker than I remember... I may need to pay up for premium gloves next time, but more expensive does not always translate to better... These seem too cheap to last even through one season. :oops:

JR