too cheap to fix?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
billshurv

Re: too cheap to fix?

Post by billshurv »

Well I did a fibreglass repair on a kiddy slide today. You can't buy the plastic parts seperate from the whole thing and I suspect compared to the last slide I had from the same company 20 years ago they've cost reduced the moulding to break after a few years! For my first ever fibreglassing it actually worked....so far. If it holds a year I will be very happy.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I really hated working with fiberglass... My summer vacation job as a teen in high school was working in a machine shop and as a "young" man, I generally got the bottom of the barrel crap jobs. One of those jobs was making water barrel hoods (actually scoops) to channel sea water into the water barrels for oceanographic research.

The part of working with fiberglass that really sucked IMO, was sanding it to smooth rough edges/surfaces. Working in the summer heat, the fine fiberglass powder stuck to sweaty skin, and got into everything. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I finally got a letter back from Walmart answering my written complaint about the cheap lamp design... they passed the buck to some California company, gave me their phone number. Of course I'n mot going to call them.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:03 am I finally got a letter back from Walmart answering my written complaint about the cheap lamp design... they passed the buck to some California company, gave me their phone number. Of course I'n mot going to call them.

JR
Who would then refer you to China... :lol:
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:54 pm
JR. wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:03 am I finally got a letter back from Walmart answering my written complaint about the cheap lamp design... they passed the buck to some California company, gave me their phone number. Of course I'n mot going to call them.

JR
Who would then refer you to China... :lol:
The company they bumped me too doesn't even make lamps. This was probably some knock off of a domestic design, that they screwed up making it cheaper. My complaint is with a) crappy design (threaded soft aluminum tubing), b) broken-missing part that wasn't still in the box so broken before shipping, c) "and" shipping damage where that broken part was still inside the shipping box.

I was expecting somebody in AR to take a little responsibility for the sleazy design practice, but not even. :roll:

I sold my Walmart stock years ago, but sadly they are kicking ass, and getting more of my purchases these days. FWIW I fixed and am using both lamps right now. Still a value.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

I finally killed the Denon multichanger in the kitchen. It had stopped loading CDs. I'd fixed it once before (stripped gear and a drive belt) so thought I'd have another go. This time found a wedged mechanism in the bit that pulls the trays back and shuffles them. Loosened that off put it back together. Still wouldn't play ball... took it apart again but this time I missed a tab I had to release and instead of pulling the gearbox off the bottom of the assembly pulled the top off he gearbox. which caused the limiter switch to disassemble into many pieces.

£50 second hand, 7 years use. Time for a new one. Wife very happy!