home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: home improvement turns into science fair projects?

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:24 pm I had an Ozone experience once from an unvented Xenon projector lamp.
Took awhile running the projector for me to figure it out.
I told the studio manager about it and they didn't take me seriously until the day he ran it.
Within a week it was vented.

I doubt your 15W will have much build-up.
Can you use UV-LEDs for that?
Yup I've been using UVc lamps for years and the ozone is not bad at these power levels.... The small fluorescent tubes are usually 6-7W, the CFL run higher power 15-25W but can overheat, just like CFL light bulbs. I feel lucky about heat inside an air duct.

I haven't seen UV LEDS in the right wavelength and power... UVc is something like 250 nM, and I would really like far UVc light that is even shorter wavelength. I read that they were able to make LED prototypes that worked that high frequency (far UVc), but not ready for prime time, and even longer away than that to be cheap.

Far UVc promises to not harm human eyes or skin... So you can use it out in open while humans are around.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I've shared this before, during the Spanish flu pandemic back in 1917 they had some success putting patients outdoors in direct sunlight.

I saw another data point recently correlating bad covid outcomes with low serum Vit D... a marker for not getting much sunlight.

There is a good book touting the benefits of sun exposure, "Sunlight: by Kime.

JR

[edit] I just found a 60W UVc LED bulb for only $20... this may be a scam

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IClover-UV-U ... /610654352
I ordered one to check it out...
[/edit]
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

It also says it produces no Ozone.
Hope it works out.
I've shared this before, during the Spanish flu pandemic back in 1917 they had some success putting patients outdoors in direct sunlight.
I recall the archival photo of patients being laid out on cots outside hospital tents.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:43 am It also says it produces no Ozone.
Hope it works out.
I recall the archival photo of patients being laid out on cots outside hospital tents.
That UVc LED seems almost too good to be true... That is about the cost of the UVc CFLs with a fraction of the power, it seems too cheap.

There are scams where the chinese merchants sell stuff that doesn't meet spec... like Blue LEDs or regular UV instead of UVc... We'll see.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

JR. wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:37 pm
mediatechnology wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:43 am It also says it produces no Ozone.
Hope it works out.
That UVc LED seems almost too good to be true... That is about the cost of the UVc CFLs with a fraction of the power, it seems too cheap.

There are scams where the chinese merchants sell stuff that doesn't meet spec... like Blue LEDs or regular UV instead of UVc... We'll see.

JR
The 60W chinese UVc LED lamp arrived and makes plenty of light... My eyes are not calibrated to discern nM wavelengths but it looks like it could be UVc... I may test it with some beer yeast to see if it kills them.

They sell UVc dosimiter cards for about $11 I may order one, just to see what my sundry UVc lamps are doing.

[update my cheap dosimeter card arrived and doesn't work... I may have fried it with direct sunlight or not? /update]

JR