Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by JR. »

Got my replacement bar and new chain, so was making saw dust again...

Rescued my old bar and chain, and got the trunk branch down on the ground. :D

I still have the main trunk to deal with... I have somewhat reduced optimism about my ability to easily bring it the rest of the way down. Still an option to drop tree #2 that tree #1 is tangled up with, but a big a__ tree with a nasty lean.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Glad you got your saw assembled back into one piece.
Now you have a spare bar and chain if its not bent and the chain isn't worn out.

I had a couple of trails to clear last weekend after neglecting the woods for most of the summer.
One large Oak branch came down during a storm and I just used other trails to get around it.
I still need to drag the brush out to the street but the trail is passable.
JR.

Post by JR. »

yup, bar and chain are OK... The bar fell out after I dropped the trunk branch...

It may be easier to drop #2 than get #1 all the way down... but no hurry (measure ten times, cut once or twice).

JR

PS: The new chain and bar was sweet... cut like butter...
JR.

Post by JR. »

notch.png
I started a test cut to finish taking down tree #1... I feel lucky about the weight of the tree helping finish the cut, splitting the tree. The flat cut horizontal with the ground feels good, but the vertical cut to open up the notch already wants to bind up. With the spare bar and chain, I can risk that.

No hurry this is still a heavy piece of wood...

The transformer and power line in the picture is the same one I am worried about tree #2 hitting if it goes rogue.

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

Under the same kind of endeavour, today I worked at grinding a tree stump.
I was stupid enough to use an angle grinder with a disk for cutting metal.
Few minutes later, the disk exploded, thanks to the protection, I only got a flying debris to cut at my left fore arm. Not too deep, fortunately.
Never do this, it is way too dangerous and is not efficient onto the stump anyway.
I finished the stump with handsaw, chisel and hammer.
I have another stump much larger where I will use drilling. I have a hole saw, but I think this is likely another bad idea.
JR.

Post by JR. »

be careful... I probably have about 10 stumps so let me know when you come up with a good plan. :lol:

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

I think, drilling is the safest way to go at the stumps.
Hand drills used by old days carpenters would be perfectly safe and quite efficient. I used some of those some 50 years ago on green wood, too bad I did not keep them.
I just saw there exist angle grinder disks to cut wood. They look like a disk with a chain saw around it.
But, I am not sure these are safe enough.
My stumps are very hard wood. Cherry tree and plum tree.
JR.

Post by JR. »

At some point I may hire a tree guy to use his commercial stump grinder. I ASSume a major part of the cost is carrying the grinder to location... so 10 stumps may be relatively inexpensive per sump... But no hurry I am still dropping trees (or trying to).

I notice that some trees do not die gracefully... Some just die, but others aggressively push upshoots. One tree has tens of upshoots even pushing up from roots, feet from the stump.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

JR. wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:25 am At some point I may hire a tree guy to use his commercial stump grinder. I ASSume a major part of the cost is carrying the grinder to location... so 10 stumps may be relatively inexpensive per sump... But no hurry I am still dropping trees (or trying to).

I notice that some trees do not die gracefully... Some just die, but others aggressively push upshoots. One tree has tens of upshoots even pushing up from roots, feet from the stump.

JR
That's been my experience: The first one is always the most expensive.

You might bore holes in those stumps with a paddle bit to form wells and fill the wells with table salt for the live ones to kill it.
I've been known to pour in liquid brush killer and cover the holes to prevent it from spreading due to rain.
Use sugar on the dead decaying ones.
JR.

Post by JR. »

The laws of physics and tree mechanics is intact. No way to bind up with the cut opening up even more
notch2.png
Tree is still hung up, but now another several hundred pounds lighter.
tree_again.png
I expect another similar cut will get what is left of the tree off the ground and lighter still... easier to finish pulling down.

Trees always appear bigger/heavier when down. [edit... trees actually look smaller than they are when standing. :lol: /edit]

JR