I love modern technology

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

I love modern technology

Post by JR. »

I haven't dropped a squirrel in over year, despite two very good opportunities a week ago. I purchased a laser bore sight, and zero'd in my scope. :roll: No wonder the squirrels barely noticed that I was firing on them. The laser pointer indicates my scope was aiming low and to the left about two squirrel widths. :oops:

Now I have it perfectly zero'd in for about 50 yards, with the only variable remaining is drop over that much distance... I could tweak for this with a paper target. For now I can aim a little high.

Now I actually want to see some squirrels in my yard. 8-)

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
terkio

Re: I love modern technology

Post by terkio »

Is this any better as shooting at paper to adjust the scope.
Not only you have elevation shift, you have side shift from the bullet spin.
22 LR I presume ? With mine, 3 shots and I am done.
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:35 pm Is this any better as shooting at paper to adjust the scope.
Not only you have elevation shift, you have side shift from the bullet spin.
22 LR I presume ? With mine, 3 shots and I am done.
I sure hope so... 2 years ago or so I spent too many hours sighting in the scope with a paper target and could never deliver a very tight shot group. Walking the tens of yards back and forth and marking the latest round of hits took time. I think serious hunters use a gun vise/clamp to hold the rifle steady. I'm old and not very steady.

The air rifle is 177 cal (Gamo) and has a rifled barrel. The spin from a rifled barrel "should" make the pellet more stable in flight.

I cannot explain why it was off as far as it was, but the laser made it very easy to zero in the scope. I will need to manually add some elevation for distance, depending on distance to the critter in scope.

Disappointingly I haven't seen a squirrel in my yard since, but I expect I will.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Disappointingly I haven't seen a squirrel in my yard since, but I expect I will.
Maybe the squirrels watched you sighting in your air rifle. :lol:
terkio

Post by terkio »

You can use a bag of beans or rice to steady the rifle for zeroing the scope.
The bucking of an air rifle is stiffer than a 22LR, it is more likely to disadjust at the scope mounts.
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 pm You can use a bag of beans or rice to steady the rifle for zeroing the scope.
The bucking of an air rifle is stiffer than a 22LR, it is more likely to disadjust at the scope mounts.
I suspected that the scope might have shifted but it seems tight and solid... its a cheap scope so maybe some internals shifted.

@ wayne if the squirrels saw me and decided to stay away forever I can live with that... I take no pleasure from killing even more tree rats, but it really irritates me when they eat my pecans.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

Friday morning while roasting coffee out in my laundry room I saw my first squirrel since re-sighting in my scope... Trouble was the squirrel also saw me and was long gone before I could retrieve my air rifle.

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

You could scare them with a wandering laser beam.
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:02 pm You could scare them with a wandering laser beam.
Only if they associate it with me... I didn't make any noise when I sighted in the scope. I do not give the tree rats that much credit.

If I could point a laser at them I could test out my newly more accurate scope on them. :lol:

No hurry there won't be pecans for them to poach for several months.

JR
emrr

Post by emrr »

Ours don’t scare at all. Though there’s no space for shooting either.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders