Great people, Who would you want to meet?

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Great people, Who would you want to meet?

Post by mediatechnology »

I didn't have to think about that one too long.

My Dad, only about ten years before I was born. I'd like to know the things that shaped his life before I knew him as a child.

skipwave

Post by skipwave »

Miles is a good call, and an example of how many of the most intriguing people would be scary to confront. So many geniuses bore unwieldy personality flaws.

Present day, I'd say John Zorn.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Great people, Who would you want to meet?

I would like to meet - for a second time - the very proud man I met on December 25, 2001 while delivering Christmas dinner for Meals on Wheels. I did not fully know who he was but I sensed greatness when I delivered food to this very lonely, humble, man.

Our delivery directions took us to very nice old "Black" neighborhood in Oak Cliff, a section of Dallas. I was instructed to go around to the side sliding door and knock because the man living there didn't often live in his house but chose to live in the back near his workshop. My daughter and I were invited in and we immediately saw a room completely filled with old black and white photographs. The gentleman introduced himself and explained earlier in life that he had been a photographer. He asked us to look at some of his pictures with him. The pictures seemed to be the only "family" he had. We sensed that with many of the clients we saw that day we were the only human contact they would have that Christmas. As we left for our next delivery our gracious host invited us back.

I was fascinated by the man and his work and every time I would go near that neighborhood thought about him. I knew I had things to learn from him and I always wanted to drop in to visit. But I didn't.

Last year I read that a prominent Dallas photographer had died and thought about him and that Christmas Day and the photographer I had met. I kept thinking of him.

An article was published in the Dallas Morning News today about Black History Month and an exhibit at the Dallas African American Museum. I immediately recognized the picture of the man I had met.

His name was R C Hickman....

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/narrative_hickman.html
http://www.cah.utexas.edu/exhibits/hick ... n_home.htm

RC Hickman passed away December 1, 2007.