Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

They still make iron-on patches?
In going through some of my Grandmother's old stuff I found a steel patch for holes in cookware.

When AT&T engineered our neighborhood for fiber they used 12 port terminals spaced at the end of the block.
Most areas use 6 port terminals located in the center of the block.
This leaves techs shaking their heads...

This results in our optical cable being about 550 feet long and going through numerous neighbor's trees and two road crossings.
When they installed it it took hours for the tech to find a spool of cable long enough to finish the drop.
He had to drive to Waxahachie which is about 30 minutes south in the next county.
EDIT: It took three techs about 8 hours to get light and about 30 minutes to install the modem. It was a long day for them.
That piece of cable was still too short and they had to do a splice at the road crossing pole in front of my house.
If the cable ever gets broken it will take a long time to fix.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:35 am They still make iron-on patches?
I have a package of 20 patches on order and en route. I've never done this before but assume the worst sections need to double patch with one on the inside and one outside while one hole is too big to fix with a single patch.
In going through some of my Grandmother's old stuff I found a steel patch for holes in cookware.
that sounds interesting, how does it work?
When AT&T engineered our neighborhood for fiber they used 12 port terminals spaced at the end of the block.
Most areas use 6 port terminals located in the center of the block.
This leaves techs shaking their heads...
My local wire bundles have multiple breaks so line techs switch to whatever working pairs they can find. They are likely biding their time until fiber comes through.
This results in our optical cable being about 550 feet long and going through numerous neighbor's trees and two road crossings.
When they installed it it took hours for the tech to find a spool of cable long enough to finish the drop.
He had to drive to Waxahachie which is about 30 minutes south in the next county.
That piece of cable was still too short and they had to do a splice at the road crossing pole in front of my house.
If the cable ever gets broken it will take a long time to fix.
I noticed that there was a bare steel cable between the two involved poles. The steel cable is sagging down several inches lower than the rest of the wires in the bundle. It seems good practice would be to tighten up that wire too, in case that same too tall truck comes through again, but these workers were from FL so they won't have to fix it next time.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

The cookware patch is a steel disc with a threaded stud in the middle and a large washer and nut for the outside.
It's for smaller holes and does';t do curved surfaces.
When I ran across it it had the original cardboard backer that explained what it was otherwise I would have never known.
I suppose that the original ceramic(?) coated steel pots would crack and develop pin holes.

We have an aluminum loaf pan full of micro-sized pinholes from making one too many meat loafs.
I suppose its the acidic tomato.
We don't use much aluminum cookware but this one loaf pan cooks really evenly.

I just switched from stainless to aluminum cap nuts for my differential pairs for that very same reason. :lol:
terkio

Post by terkio »

Beware of Aluminium cookware. It is a known trouble with acidic food.
It seems it can be a serious health hazard. Could start an Alzheimer condition.
I am ditching all aluminum stuff and only keep stainless steel and cast iron.
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 am Beware of Aluminium cookware. It is a known trouble with acidic food.
It seems it can be a serious health hazard. Could start an Alzheimer condition.
I am ditching all aluminum stuff and only keep stainless steel and cast iron.
I am not aware of the "aluminum causes Alzheimers" speculation being confirmed.

Yes acidic foods can dissolve aluminum... maybe don't use aluminum foil on tomato sauce.

JR
mediatechnology

I agree about the aluminum cookware.
I use the steel loaf pan now.

My wife likes the aluminum for banana bread.
We do have an aluminum cookie sheet with air pockets in it that's excellent but we almost always use parchment paper.

While we're on the subject of metals and halogens in the diet...

I no longer use aluminum-based deodorant and have eliminated fluoride toothpaste.
I also no longer drink fluoridated water which is still used in the US to dumb us down.
The fluoride has worked brilliantly in that regard. :roll:

I do take nascent "atomic" Iodine which hopefully chelates the aluminum and fluoride.
Iodine definitely reduces brain fog and is good to take before manually routing a PC layout.

I occasionally take colloidal silver and my toothpaste uses nano-silver. I also have some iodine and nano-silver toothpaste I use as well.
CS wiped out the allergies I'd lived with from age 6 to about 40.

There are a lot of citations WRT aluminum and Alzheimer's here: http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2 ... p021.shtml
JR.

Post by JR. »

I did a MRI scan of my noggin several years ago... that dark feature (actually a void) I call Lake Stout as it is likely filled with beer. :lol:

There was no evidence of plaque at the time of the scan, but who knows now...

JR
mediatechnology

Posterior view, chunk of left brain missing.
Hmm, where to go with this. :lol:
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:34 pm Posterior view, chunk of left brain missing.
Hmm, where to go with this. :lol:
actually right in the image is on the left side...

My suspicion it was from one of my basketball concussions when my head bounced off the floor.

But the brain is very good at remodeling.

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

This is vaguely "entropy"... I noticed that lately I have been missing squirrels so bad with my air rifle that one didn't even run away yesterday...

I dug out my laser bore sight to see what was up... the scope was pointing me low and to the left... not even close. It was not just a little off but more than one full turn on the scope adjustment screw.

The next squirrel in my yard may get a different result, especially if he gives me multiple shots on target. I know I had it sighted in pretty good a couple years ago, with roughly a half dozen dead tree rats for proof of concept.

JR

PS; For routine maintenance I put my smart charger on my lawnmower battery... it took so long to charge I had to leave it connected overnight. I suspect sitting in the cold weather took some toll.