Shure Blog "Choosing a Phono Cartridge in the Vinyl Revival"

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Shure Blog "Choosing a Phono Cartridge in the Vinyl Revival"

Post by mediatechnology »

Written by Davida Rochman on March 4, 2015

Who would have guessed that in an era when Apple’s iTunes has sold over 35 billion songs to 800 million customers (and counting), the market for old-school analog playback LPs would revive? What’s particularly surprising is that the push is coming from millennials. The numbers change depending on the source, but record sales are clearly on the rise:

In a February 2015 article, the San Francisco Chronicle cited Nielsen SoundScan figures that showed a 51% rise in vinyl sales from 2013 to 2014 and 9.2 million records sold in 2014
Most major new releases have a vinyl version
Record companies are starting to reissue classics from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan as LPs
More than a dozen newcomers have joined the few surviving record-pressing plants according to The New York Times

Audiophiles have long touted the warmth and depth of an LP’s grooves, but a new audience has discovered the joy of reading liner notes, admiring an album cover, walking across a room to change a record, building a record collection, and cruising used record stores to find that pristine copy of The Velvet Underground & Nico.
Read more at the Shure blog: http://blog.shure.com/choosing-a-phono- ... l-revival/
JR.

Re: Shure Blog "Choosing a Phono Cartridge in the Vinyl Revi

Post by JR. »

Time to sell my old records,?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

You mean the party records that have been walked on? :lol:

Seriously you might want to look into it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Somewhere I have a recording of Arthur Godfrey telling dirty jokes...back before he became the singing cowboy (from my dad's collection).

Most of my personal records are less than pristine. :oops: My sisters records are in better shape (Beatles, Beach boys, girly stuff etc).

I have a bunch of CX encoded records given to me by CBS when I did my CX kit (pretty much never been played :lol: ).

JR
mediatechnology

I have a bunch of CX encoded records given to me by CBS when I did my CX kit (pretty much never been played :lol: ).
You should research those or donate them to a museum.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote:
You should research those or donate them to a museum.
I may have an assembled kit CX player too, in my junk room,,,,

not sure this stuff should be remembered. :lol:

JR