The smell of green...

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

The smell of green...

Post by JR. »

I don't consider this a repair but I just went into my (almost new) water heater and adjusted the thermostat(s) (it has two, one for each heating element) higher. They come from the factory set around 120' so boys and girls don't scald themselves, and I let it ride since I'm cheap and i figured a cooler hot water reservoir would lose less heat in the winter.

Lately I've detected an off smell coming from my hot water... Apparently 120' isn't hot enough to kill bacteria or other microbes that may get into tap water. (small town, poor water quality). The instructions recommend 140' to kill bacteria. I'm not sure what they are eating in clean (?) water, but i added a UV post filter to my RO filter so stuff grows even in very pure water.

I now have both thermostats set for 140' so let's see what the smell of hot water is?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Re: The smell of green...

Post by mediatechnology »

You also might want to replace your faucet aerators.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Not sure I have faucet aerators.. :lol: My kitchen sink has a beer bottle washer attached all the time. 8-)

Connecting another dot...For the last few weeks I have been noticing that my laundry was not coming out with the former freshly washed smell... :oops:

It is supposed to take several hours for the heater to kill the bacteria at 140' but I already notice a difference and have a load of wash going right now.

I also notice the hot water is also hotter since I tweaked up the thermostat (duh).

My small town water quality can be a little variable, and i recall times in the past when my tap water smelled of chlorine (or some antimicrobial additive), other times it smelled a little like soil. I originally invested in the RO water system because my tap water would kill my beer yeast... no doubt from their additives.

I can always go higher temp for a few days if needed, but for now I am optimistic 140' will git er dun.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I found one of my faucet's aerators was not only blocked but green.
The newer flow-restricted cheap ones that came with the faucet seem to be all plastic.
I never recall the metal ones doing that.
I fixed it first with some CLR but replaced it and it made a huge difference.

I agree that 120°F just isn't hot enough...
JR.

Post by JR. »

Green is also copper oxide so perhaps not organic.

First batch of laundry since 140' adjustment smells OK, and if it smells good it is good... 8-)

JR
[edit- follow up, one day later and the smell is gone, so 140' hot water setting is the simple solution... Of course now water is hot enough to hurt but i can manage that. /edit]