IFD: Removing Constraints of CMOS Bilateral Switches

A resource for technical documentation. Datasheets, application notes, instruction manuals, books and links to resources are found in the Document Library.
mediatechnology

IFD: Removing Constraints of CMOS Bilateral Switches

Post by mediatechnology »

"Removing the Constraints of C-MOS Bilateral Switches," W. Chomik, A.J. Cousin, Electronics, December 7, 1978.

This is an old Idea for Design which I've used in modified form. This circuit is a good first start with both a series and shunt switch but with the switch outside the feedback loop.

As John and I have both pointed out elsewhere, the switch can be placed inside the feedback loop to virtually eliminate delta-Rds distortion. It's not shown that way here:

Removing the Constraints of C-MOS Bilateral Switches

Removing the Constraints of C-MOS Bilateral Switches (pdf 587K)

There is a better method with the FET or CMOS switch placed inside the feedback loop. This is a discrete FET version inside the loop used in the dBx 3Bx.
There is no shunt in this version, only the series switch. Note that the op-amp input resistor tied to Q4 is off-page.
Ignore the CR19/CR30 network which is mis-drawn. (Looks like the anode of CR19 should go to the bottom of R43 10M.)

dBx 3Bx FET Switch Detail

This is one I hastily drew. At the time I called it the "spoon fed edition" because the person I was drawing it for was being a real snarky PITA with no imagination. (It was not on this forum.)

The sections can be repeated to form a selector. Each input can have it's own gain set independent of the other inputs. IF DG413 switches are used, the inverters can be eliminated.

The delta-Rds of the switches are now in series with the inverting input. Since the inverting input is very high impedance, THD from delta-Rds is virtually eliminated.

CMOS Switch Inside the Loop
mediatechnology

Diode in Op-Amp Feedback Loop Zeroes Distortion

"Enclosing Diode in Op-Amp Feedback Loop Zeroes Distortion in Transmission Gate," Daniel Talbot, Electronic Design, July 5, 1979.

This is a diode-based transmission gate that I believe I orignally saw in a Philbrick applications note. Daniel Talbot was the Chief Engineer for dBx. I haven't been able to find this article on the web.

"Enclosing Diode in Op-Amp Feedback Loop Zeroes Distortion in Transmission Gate," Daniel Talbot, Electronic Design, July 5, 1979

https://www.ka-electronics.com/images/p ... 5-1979.pdf (pdf ~730KB)
JR.

Re: IFD: Removing Constraints of CMOS Bilateral Switches

Post by JR. »

That diode gate will work, but probably click like mother when switching. I've done some similar crude diode steering variants for non audio paths (like inputs to a meter) that didn't have to switch quietly.

I've used CMOS TG inside the feedback loop in big consoles with unmeasurable (back in the day) distortion. Very similar to Wayne's spoon fed sketch. I notice that some expensive TG products build in the alternate on/off logic into half the gates, which is convenient (I guess). It is useful to shunt the unused inputs.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

That diode gate will work, but probably click like mother when switching.
Don't know if you read the pdf to read that Talbot writes that it doesn't click, but then later explains how important op-amp selection is to prevent it. The back-to-back diodes in the 553X prevent it from being used.

I remain unconvinced that it doesn't click either but would be willing to try it.

I like my spoon fed version better made with DG413s. They've gotten really cheap.

I have another example of a similar approach I'll post in a bit where they use an unswitched "compensating" FET in the FB loop as well as one in series with the input resistor. It's not necesarily better, but it illustrates how they used the delta Rds of one FET to compensate the other.
JR.

Post by JR. »

When gated off, the input impedance switches from very high Z to some 10s of K to -V, not very friendly to the off signal path in real world use.

Whatever...

JR
mediatechnology

Yeah and the output has to be loaded in a high impedance too. Wonder where he used this...

I'm not real keen on it either. I scanned that one so I could re-file it. Couldn't find it anywhere online (except listed in his resume) so I thought it out to post it for posterity.
JR.

Post by JR. »

That kind of steering goes on all the time inside ICs where you have a controlled environment coming and going.

JR