A Modern Loftech TS-1 Audio Test Set

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
JR.

Re: A Modern Loftech TS-1 Audio Test Set

Post by JR. »

Even with 2 outs, I am unconvinced it adds utility (but I will soak that in beer too).

Since I am creating the test stimulus sine wave internally, I can read the phase shift relative to what I am sending with only one input (like I do in my drum tuner), but I can imagine people wanting to compare L/R levels.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

A couple of thoughts.

If it had independent L and R inputs, a graphic display and was capable of reading level, why not switch it from a digital dB display to a dual bargraph K-Meter? That way the owner of the TS-2 could use it as a test rig, and for normal-day-to-day operations use it for a top-of-the-console level meter. Its an easier sell and looks cool. The only added cost I see is code.

For that matter, if you're using stereo codecs, they would likely connect internally to the DSP/MPU as I2S. Add an AES/SPDIF transceiver and switch the XLR I/O connectors from analog to digital. That way the TS-2 could generate AES test signals or read AES inputs. The added cost would be the switching, AES transceiver and code. Maybe make this one an option...

The Rasberry Pi product line has a 7" color 800x480 LCD with touchscreen for $60 qty 1. A color OLED or LCD without touch might be affordable. http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... dp/49Y1712

See also: https://www.adafruit.com/category/63:

This one, with touch is $39.95 qty 1:

The NTI products aren't something you can set on a console and they don't have the cool blinking lights of a K-Meter.

Something like this K-Meter only horizontal:

mediatechnology

Since I am creating the test stimulus sine wave internally, I can read the phase shift relative to what I am sending with only one input (like I do in my drum tuner), but I can imagine people wanting to compare L/R levels.
For those calibrating tape you need two relative phase-measuring inputs to adjust azimuth.

(Though I must admit the mono sum method never steered me wrong. Mono sum is particularly useful for multi-track azimuth adjustment since it averages and more heavily-weights outer tracks.)

EDIT: There is a 480x272 pic RGB LCD for $27.60 qty 1. Looks to include backlight. TFT LCDs from Microtips/Mouser https://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.as ... k=P_MarCom
JR.

Post by JR. »

That would be that mission creep I was talking about.... :lol:

JR
mediatechnology

A character or dot matrix-based display is so 1990s. Kinda like an AP Portable One.

I agree about the mission creep but hey its only code right?
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am A character or dot matrix-based display is so 1990s. Kinda like an AP Portable One.

I agree about the mission creep but hey its only code right?
Yup... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only code, and graphic display, and reading /writing AES SPDIF, and... oh yeah, and code...

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

I already have a graphic LCD display (monochrome), with a touch screen overlay that I was evaluating for my next generation drum tuner but came to the realization that drummers were not interested in more expensive drum tuners no matter how slick the interface was.

JR

PS: The touch screen overlay would support powerful soft menus.
mediatechnology

Getting the basic generator and measurements going will probably be the most fun part.

I originally had hope for the QuantAsylum QA-400/401 but that was quickly dashed when I discovered that it doesn't do single-tone measurements. I suppose that its great in its intended production line environment.
JR.

Post by JR. »

my design goal is mainly to cover the old TS-1 functions, and better is always better...

JR
mediatechnology

Take a look at the Newhaven displays: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/