Pico Final Build

Construction information for DIY projects, including the MS Mid Side Matrix, Elliptic Equalizer, Mastering Console, Phono Transfer System, Insert Switcher and the Dual Class-A Amplifier. You can post your baby pictures here.
Gold

Pico Final Build

Post by Gold »

Well, it's been a few years but I finally got around to doing the final builds for both of the four channel units that are destined for the lacquer mastering console I'm building. I'm very happy with them.

It's a fairly stripped down build features wise. It just has Attack, Release, Ratio and Threshold. It's in RMS mode but with a small cap so it's peak detection. There is gain elsewhere in the console so I don't need it on the faceplate.

I did some slight modifications to get the threshold so that the highest threshold position is at +12dBu.

All audio connections are stereo on 5 pin XLR connectors.

It's powered from the bench supplies. The console has dedicated power supplies for the Modulation path and the Preview path. There is also a 12v rail for lamps and relays. Audio Common (yellow binding post) is isolated from the Chassis (green binding post). They meet at one of the two central supplies. Here is one of two.
emrr

Re: Pico Final Build

Post by emrr »

Looks good.
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Gold

Post by Gold »

Thanks Doug. I'm shooting to have the console frame installed by the end of the summer. It won't be complete but I should be able to get a four channel lacquer transfer path, metering and monitor. That will duplicate the functions of my current Neumann SP75. I have someone helping me and she is taking care of all the console wiring. There are three 24 position 5 pin xlr bays and all the power wiring.
emrr

Post by emrr »

That really sounds like a big undertaking. I feel like I saw your panel stamping sometime back; I have similar stop-start situations all around me. One piece at a time!
Best,

Doug Williams
Gold

Post by Gold »

emrr wrote:That really sounds like a big undertaking.
I'm in year eight...Last month I decided to make finishing it part of my job. In the past I worked on it "whenever I could" which was weekends when I didn't have studio work spill over or other commitments. Which meant a month could go by pretty easily without getting anything done. Now I'm not booking sessions on Friday. That way Friday is bump day if worst comes to worst and I have the rest of the weekend.

The console is littered with the M/S boards and Roger laid out the board for the elliptical equalizers. I have a M/S board in the monitor controller to do mono. I'm using them for M/S switching of an EQ and I'm using them for lateral/vertical preview offset for the lathe computer.

Eight years ago I had never built any electronics. I had done plenty of wiring work and some repair work. It's been a journey.Including learning how to work with metal. I wanted the experience of building it as much getting it done. Now I'm up to getting it done. I've hired out different parts of it to get it done. It's hard to believe but I think I'll be in for almost 75k including tools and test equipment by the time I'm done. Not including the hundreds of hours I've put in.
emrr

Post by emrr »

I hope the payoff is there. It certainly seems you have the vision. I'd love to see it all if I'm ever in NY.
Best,

Doug Williams
Gold

Post by Gold »

When I started I didn't think many would want it. I didn't care. I wanted to do it because I wanted to do it. Now, eight years later I think it may make up the bulk of my work. There is a lot of interest in it. I'm already doing direct tape to lacquer mastering on a pretty regular basis with a two channel processing chain.

Building the console gave me a lot of skills I plan to use in the future. I started slow. Now I have a fully stocked and equipped audio electronics shop and a pretty nice metalworking setup. A lot of the expense was this. It will pay for itself over time independent of the console use. These faceplates are place holders. I'm going to make engraved faceplates as as soon as I can get that going. Electronics first.

Hopefully I'll have something worth seeing at NY AES.