Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Gentle persuasion over time.. suck cess

Post by JR. »

The bottom of trunk is right on the edge of my property line over by the store. You can see a shovel handle sticking out from under it.
treedown2.jpg
It was not trivial to move the bottom of the tree that was digging into the dirt plowing a furrow. I got to use some applied vector geometry to make that task easier. By attaching the come along pull attachment point up higher on the nearby tree to pull both up and over at the same time, the tree was much easier to move (thanks Euclid).

The top of this puppy clearly invaded my other neighbor's yard. Not to mention top of tree #2 it took down with it.
treedown1.jpg
As I predicted the 3" branch that was holding this puppy up sheared off when exposed to the full weight of that much wood.

Once it started falling it quickly picked up momentum,,, in addition to taking off the 3" branch, it took about a 6" wide bite out of the back trunk of that same junk tree it was stuck in... You can see the raw wood from tree trunk #2 poking out from underneath the big dog tree #1 trunk.

It is going to take me several more days to cut this up to burn... I may also try to use the come along to lift the trunk of the felled tree up off the ground to make it easier to cut off chunks with the chainsaw.

The difficult work is done but there is still plenty of "hard" work left. :lol:

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
terkio

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by terkio »

Congratulations.
I was worried with the up tree tangle, I am glad it is over and safe.
JR.

Post by JR. »

firewood.jpg
No shortage of firewood
stump.jpg
If I was younger I would have finished cutting the remainder of the tree trunk, but I'm old and tired. :lol:

My chainsaw only has a 16" bar and it was fully engaged.

Even dead and dry that trunk is heavier than I like... It was so heavy that I could not put two logs in my wheelbarrow at the same time. The green logs from the live tree that came down were 2x or more heavier all else equal, but much smaller diameter.

They say to lift with your knees not your back... but what if you have arthritis in your knee..? :lol: (Icing it now).

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

That's some good firewood. Reminds me I need to go scrumping to stock the woodpile.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Is 2PM too early to start drinking? (rhetorical of course not).
what_tree.jpg
Tree down, cut, and on the burn pile.....

This thread is about finished.

JR
Radardoug

Post by Radardoug »

Well done! Us old fellas can still do it!
JR.

Post by JR. »

That is the good news...

now I see about a half dozen other trees to take down.... :lol:

Just not now,,, I'm sore, and tired.... Last night I was so spent I went to sleep about two hours early.... but then I woke up two hours earlier this morning. I guess that means I am not in sleep deficit.

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

Take a rest.
Next: The two stumps...
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 pm Take a rest.
Next: The two stumps...
Only one stump for now... there is still > 1/2 that other tree, just tore off part of it.

I was careful to not let my chain saw get down into the dirt.

After I regain my strength (and after it rains this weekend), I will take out my axe and use it to cut down the stump closer to the ground level. The axe is the right tool for that job. I had good luck moving my burn pile on top of the last stump I wanted gone, but may not have to this time.

I wish I would have figured all this stuff out 50 years ago... that's life. :lol:

Thanx everybody for the advice...

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Nice to see the tree down, you safe and a big pile of firewood.

Take some Turmeric for that knee.