Switch support/bezel - have you ever seen this part?

Where we discuss new analog design ideas for Pro Audio and modern spins on vintage ones.
Whoops

Switch support/bezel - have you ever seen this part?

Post by Whoops »

Hello,
I'm locking for a type of switch assembly that is like a support/bezel for toggle switches in order to make them recessed in the front panel.
I know it was used in the Nagra IV recorders line and also some gear from other manufacturers in the early 70s, like Helios DI boxes.

It's this part:

Does anyone know any info on these parts?
Sources for it?
Or any other equipment that might have used them?

(I already did extensive searches in google and this part doesn't show up, and I already contacted all the Nagra parts services I could find, althoug this part was not made by Nagra and other brands used it also in their products)

Thank you so much for your help
AnalogJoe

Re: Switch support/bezel - have you ever seen this part?

Post by AnalogJoe »

I don't think you will be able to find it easily. Consider getting it 3D printed or have it made with a CNC milling machine
Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I've been thinking about this since I saw it on GDIY. I'll look at some vintage Alco and C&K catalogs.

Does NKK have anything?
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:55 pm I've been thinking about this since I saw it on GDIY. I'll look at some vintage Alco and C&K catalogs.
Thank you so much that would be great, I don't have any vintage catalogs of C&K,
this part was used in different equipment in the early 70s, so that's roughly the time frame

mediatechnology wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:55 pm Does NKK have anything?
NKK Europe replied saying they could only give info of current production and that they couldn't search older catalog.
I tried NKK Japan to see if I have better luck with them.
The switches used in the Nagra where Nikkai (NKK), but this part might be Nikkai or not. Nagra service manual doesn't have a reference to this part's brand.

In the Helios DI boxes, I was told the switches used were C&K, might be correct or not.

But anyway this part could be from a different manufacturer than the switches, hard to know
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

mediatechnology wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:55 pm I'll look at some vintage Alco and C&K catalogs.
Hi mate,
if you find some vintage C&K catalogs please let me know.
I tried to find some old C&K catalogs online but they're not available

NKK Japan replied to me, the oldest Nikkai catalog they have is from 1979 and we coudn't find the part there.
But as these are pieces from 70/71, maybe an older catalog would be needed

Thank you
mediatechnology

I went through a stack of old switch catalogs and didn't see anything.

I did look at CE distribution. https://www.cedist.com/
Although they have a lot of short handle toggle switches no recessed guards.

It occurred to me you might want to approach CE with supplying these.
They have a lot of unique products for audio DIY and this is an item other people would use not only on DIs but also pedal EFX.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I've never seen anything like this.... I second the suggestion to make a 3D printed version.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

BTW doesn't address the OP's need but this is a nice resource: https://lovemyswitches.com/

Was formerly "bitches love my switches."
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

mediatechnology wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:33 pm BTW doesn't address the OP's need but this is a nice resource: https://lovemyswitches.com/

Was formerly "bitches love my switches."
Let me guess, cancel culture? Gearslutz -> Gearspace, Bitches love my switches -> love my switches.
Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi.
Whoops

Post by Whoops »

JR. wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:52 am I second the suggestion to make a 3D printed version.
Is not that easy:

1) I don't have an original part so I don't know the measurements, I could for sure create some measurements from the photos, but it will be always a compromise and a lot of time in Trial and Error

2) very very important, original part is metal and set screw is metal. Set-Screw is really important to tighten the Switch.
3d Printer won't work, set screw would strip out, will shred a plastic thread easily

These points might be overcomed in some way, some easier than others but for now it's too early to think about this
I'm still trying to find a source or more information on this part, and that's the goal here.
It's a Quest and Detective work at the moment.

3D printing will be my last, last, last resort if I don't find any leads in the next month, or maybe 2 months