John Roberts' audio articles

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
AnalogJoe

John Roberts' audio articles

Post by AnalogJoe »

Hey John.

I was wondering if you have a webpage with all your old articles that you used to write for different magazines? I think that they are a source of valuable information, and I would like to have them.
Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi, fidem servavi.
JR.

Re: John Roberts' audio articles

Post by JR. »

Sorry no... Besides my several kit articles in Popular Electronics, I wrote a column in RE/P magazine for a few years called "Audio Mythology".

While working inside Peavey I wrote multiple articles for Peavey's dealer Magazine (Monitor). I even wrote a health column for the in-house Peavey newsletter, while the company nurse did not agree with all of my health advice, like the time I mentioned that drinking alcohol increases HDL (good) cholesterol.... :lol:

I am sure many of my scribblings can be found around the WWW, but I have not bothered to assemble it all in one place.

edit- I do have a vanity website http://www.johnhroberts.com but it is not very complete or up to date.../edit
JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

That's too bad, I did check your webpage, though. I didn't know you were into poetry, and you even got published in a newspaper or something similar? Nice. I am too brute to have any sensitivity for poetry; I am unable to distinguish the good from the bad.

I will make some web searches for the articles, I did remember you once shared a couple of them at GDIY.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

The John Roberts' Popular Electronics Articles are here: viewtopic.php?t=1062

I have the Console Design Article which I will post. viewtopic.php?p=17621#p17621
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:29 am The John Roberts' Popular Electronics Articles are here: viewtopic.php?t=1062

I have the Console Design Article which I will post. viewtopic.php?p=17621#p17621
Thank you, Wayne. Great to have all that info here on the forum.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Thanks guys... I have hosted a copy of my console performance limits design article on my web hosting area. http://www.johnhroberts.com/des_art_1.pdf I am still embarrassed that in that article I spelled bus wrong.

I also have a list of my patents here with some brief descriptions http://www.johnhroberts.com/tech.htm

here is link to the AMR console OM http://www.johnhroberts.com/AMR_manual.pdf

JR
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

JR. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:51 pm I am still embarrassed that in that article I spelled bus wrong.
Were you trying to look good for some British gal? I recall you said that those Peavy girls from sales used to grab a lot of attention.

P.S. That pdf for the AMR console is corrupted.
JR.

Post by JR. »

AnalogJoe wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:07 pm
JR. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:51 pm I am still embarrassed that in that article I spelled bus wrong.
Were you trying to look good for some British gal?
I recall mentioning to the editor of Studio Sound while I was visiting in London back in the 80s that the "buss" spelling was a Brit affectation. He was visibly upset and argued that Brit spelling was also the correct "bus" with one 's'.

I recall you said that those Peavy girls from sales used to grab a lot of attention.
yes, Peavey sales girls were above average and a pleasant alternative to typical trade show booth bimbos.
P.S. That pdf for the AMR console is corrupted.
It was working fairly recently, but isn't working for me either today. It is a huge file and header/footer info could be corrupted. I do not have the original PDF, I got that one from another forum on the WWW years ago. The big file on my puter does not open either.

I found this smaller pdf file 8MB on gearslutz https://gearspace.com/board/attachments ... maller.pdf

I may try to replace my corrupted 16MB file with the clean 8MB file, if motivated.

JR
AnalogJoe

Post by AnalogJoe »

Thanks, John!

Question, why did you decide to resonate that cap with the two inductors in the Cohen-style topology pre? The cap/inductors resonate at roughly 1.6 kHz.
peavey pre.png
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

Q = 0.009 with VR1 at 0Ω.
Q = 8.25E-6 at 25KΩ.

I've put inductors in Rg to rolloff RFI.